Splitting mic signal with phantom power

simontaylor

Hello,

I do a lot of filming of theatre performances using two cameras. For audio I use a couple of Red5 RV4 condenser mics on the front of the stage going into one of the cameras which supplies the phantom power. The other camera usually just uses it's internal mics.

If I need to change tapes on the camera with the condenser mics plugged in, I'll loose recorded audio for a few moments, so my thought was to split the mic feed and run it into each camera, so if I have to change tapes on one camera, I can use the audio from the second.

I found this handy looking box that will split the signal: http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sp_31.htm

Can anyone tell me if this will work with phantom power, and if will still send audio to the second camera if that camera is not providing power? Or is it going to somehow ruin the electronics in the second camera?

Hope that makes sense :S

Thanks in advance!

You could just make a Y split cable (1 XLR F to 2 XLR M in parallel) and save a few bob. The Millennium box will work and pass phantom as long as you do not lift the ground. You won't ruin the electronics in the second camera, and if you sent phantom from both, you wouldn't ruin the mic.

I just tried it on my two identical JVCs and with phantom off on one, and on, on the other - both seem happy, with no odd metering issues that sometimes appear on some devices. Thinking about it, you could always use a ground lift in an XLR barrel on the non-phantom camera, which would remove the 48V signal path?

I have some emo and canford mic splitters that I do similar stuff with, although bought for the old linear days when I would assemble edit with identical sound.Are the cameras near each other? Another way would be to phantom one camera and take line out from that to the other . Depends on your cameras

Or use a separate audio recorder and sync using plural eyes or the multi cam software

It looks like it's a tertiary transformer box. Input connected directly to thru (carrying phantom power through with it) and two transformer isolated outs (not carrying through the phantom power) with earth lift as a bonus. Useful looking box and should do exactly what you want. Plug mic to in, one camera from thru and the other from output A or B. Probably worth earth lifting the second out, but see if either produces any noise or buzz.

Thinking about it, you could always use a ground lift in an XLR barrel on the non-phantom camera, which would remove the 48V signal path?

I think I'd cut the earth in the M-XLR on one side of each split, just to be safe from phantom doing strange things, and from earth loops.

Canford bought EMO, and continued production - price wise they're not bad. Sowter transformers in Ipswich make some useful splitter transformers that will pass phantom through on one path, and isolated on the other - just a centre tap on each side that you link to allow power to pass. Not sure of the current price, but probably cheaper than buying a ready made one.

I have to say that my preferences would include having a single continuous high grade audio recording, probably a computer file, that you can use as the sound track and add video cuts as required.

The separate sound track would be the master and the sound on the video only used as timecode to sync the video and the sound.

I have to say that my way of working is the same as Jivemaster's. I record the "proper" audio separately (usually to a computer but occasionally to a Zoom recorder) and just use the camera mics to sync up the tracks later.

However, if you want it "in camera" the posts above give good advice.

Agree

A mate does a lot of orchestral multicam jobs and uses a flashgun as a synch to line up his cameras then does a multicam edit using the separate audio that has been made

However it can go wrong, I once did a heavy metal gig and when the audio was delivered later, it was longer than the audio on my video. I tried everything , but in the end I had to re sych it after every number. Luckily the singer was a "stick your fist around the mic" type so if it drifted a frame or two it didn't notice

I am pretty sure that it was done on protools and I think the guy maybe didn't use 48k

Zooms are so cheap now

Depending on the venue and what audio feed I can get from the in house system, I'll record audio either onto the camera (if it's a small venue, village hall etc) or I have been known to record to my MacBook Pro via Scarlett 2i2. I like the idea of the flash to sync cameras, might have to try that!

The RV4's do indeed run from an AA battery, I usually go phantom just in case the battery dies mid performance! Thanks all for the additional comments :)

I have used the flash technique for years.

You can do it at the start or the end, all you're doing is creating an easy to see common point. I have also used snap lighting changes or a PowerPoint change as a datum.

Archived