Strand Minim PC not working, not bulb

BenEdwards

HI. I have a Strand Minim PC which stopped working. I replaced the bulb and it worked for a couple of days then it stopped working again. I was going to replace the bulb but it looks fine so I tried it in another lantern and it works so it is not the bulb. I then plugged the lantern into another dimmer channel and it still does don't work (I first tested the channel with another lamp and it is OK).

So its not the bulb and the dimmer channel is OK.

Any idea what could be the problem/what I should try/look at next?

Ben

Probably the lamp holder. Sometimes the spring contacts break due to the heat, or people forcing the lamps in with the big pin/small pin the wrong way round.

You can't repair, you have to replace.

I suggest you also inspect the wiring for damage and buzz it through, the strain relief where it enters the fixture is not all that good on minims and can fracture the cable internally.

The problem is somewhere in the plug, lead or socket into which the bulb fits.

My guess is that the socket is corroded, where the pins on the old bulb corroded/ burnt?

Could be the connections in the terminal block are loose.

Cheers

Gerry

If you're not terribly experienced at this sort of thing it might be safer to get someone a bit better qualified to sort this for you. If you feel confident to tackle the job, get the fixture PAT tested before use, just to be sure. In fact, any piece of electrical kit should be PATted after maintenance....

Halogen lamps are very demanding on lamp holders. The contact springs inside the holder get hot and lose their temper then they fail to make good contact and the lamp pin and the holder socket get burned. After that the dead holder will burn all following lamps quickly. In another industry I used halogen enlarger lamps which were rated at 50 hours but with a burned holder could last 50 seconds. Replacing the cable and lamp holder should just be normal service repair, in house if you are competent. The start of the death of the contacts is usually things getting too hot so adding cleaning the cooling system, (fans, fins, airways etc) to a service schedule is a good plan.

Some heat resistant cable is available at B&Q if you only need short lengths.

.The start of the death of the contacts is usually things getting too hot so adding cleaning the cooling system, (fans, fins, airways etc) to a service schedule is a good plan.

The cooling system in a Minim consists of a few louvre slots in the removable top plate. It's probably had a 500W lamp fitted, they are really only good for M38 300W lamps.

The cooling system in a Minim consists of a few louvre slots in the removable top plate. It's probably had a 500W lamp fitted, they are really only good for M38 300W lamps.

I use 500W T18/T25 on all my 20+ Minims. I have only had to replace one lamp this year so far.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived