vga projector causes buzzing on pa

djmatthill

I have a Sanyo plc 15 projector plugged into a laptop via Vga cable ..

The laptop is connected to usb soundcard then into the mixer .... The mixer has balanced xlr outputs to tbe amp... So all ballanced.

All works fine until I plug the Vga cable in and I get an almighty buzz which changes in pitch depending what the projector is showing... Interestingly if I'm showing a black screen the buzz virtually vanishes....

Ant ideas ?

Matt

Try plugging the projector power in somewhere else. VGA does produce an awful lot of hash on ground cables. Has the VGA lead you are using got ferrite cores on it? Any chance you can run HDMI to the projector instead; sometimes you get better results that way. I'm sure you have already checked, but make sure that your balanced cables are all properly wired, with no links between connector shells and screen. And does the USB soundcard have balanced out? Many don't. You don't have to use a DI box between soundcard and mixer - that forces you to drop signals to mic levels rather than line - but you could try adding isolation at that point, especially if the sound card is unbalanced output. What sound card is it?

Audio comes from laptop by usb to a denon soundcard and midi controller ... Then from midi controller/soundcard four outputs are fed by rca phono to a mixer which is then connected to the amp by balanced xlr (2 Chan)...

Where are you suggesting I should Insert a DI here mate ?

Matt

Audio comes from laptop by usb to a denon soundcard and midi controller ... Then from midi controller/soundcard four outputs are fed by rca phono to a mixer which is then connected to the amp by balanced xlr (2 Chan)...

Where are you suggesting I should Insert a DI here mate ?

Matt

You need to add a di between the RCA outputs and the mixer. That should sort you.

CPC and Maplin do a cheap RCA inline unit designed for car use. I've used them a number of times with good results.

pedant: that RCA unit is an isolating transformer, not a DI. But it'll do the job....

Here's one of the CPC ones - and there are plenty on ebay at similar prices.

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/b070/ground-loop-isolator/dp/CP03283

They're the ones.

Sorry yes they are isolators not di's, they do the same job but output an isolated unbalanced signal not a balanced signal.

Heres a link to a in stock item. Maplins also do them, a bit more money I think but you can pick one up.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/fga-40/ground-isolator/dp/AV19955?crosssellid=AV19955&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

Archived