vga projector causes buzzing on pa

djmatthill

I'd lift the ground (earth) of the projector. I know it is against the rules, but just to chek it out... If the almighty buzz disappears, you got yourself a ground loop. B-)

Bearing in mind that in a ground loop, current flows both through the mains earth AND the signal ground, breaking the signal ground will achieve the same effect without silly risks.

I'd lift the ground (earth) of the projector. I know it is against the rules, but just to chek it out... If the almighty buzz disappears, you got yourself a ground loop. B-)

Bearing in mind that in a ground loop, current flows both through the mains earth AND the signal ground, breaking the signal ground will achieve the same effect without silly risks.

Although on a video system the video will then become noisy/distorted.

The audio DI/isolating transformer solution suggested previously is the correct way to fix this problem.

Some info on future inspection..

Iv never had an issue when iv run the setup using the unbalanced outputs on the mixer so I took the unbalanced rca phono output and fed it into a balancing transformer then Out as a balanced line to the amp.. and it stopped all buzzing and is ok... So a temporary solution for now ... But I always though that balanced outputs were the way forward to stop any problems ...??

Ok then thanks for all ur help on this .. I guess this will work whilst I try and pin point the actual problem then :)

There is no real problem to pin point. It's just the way it is. An isolating transformer / DI should be in your tool box when ever using unballanced signals, these loops crop up, they can be there then vanish only to reappear for no apparent reason, I've known people looking to fix the cause and got bogged down, £5 box is an easy fix and permanent one.

The output of the mixer might be balanced, but the RCA plugs are unbalanced. That's where your initial "earth loop" problem is. Using the transformers uncouples the ground from the signal path so breaking the loop.

If I've understood correctly, the OP is using RCAs from the Denon unit, which is class 2, so the "earth loop problem" wouldn't originate from the sound source.

I'm only reading this thread as we also have a Sanyo projector and happen to have a completely unrelated buzz on the audio, but I wonder if I could ask a question based on a comment above?

The output of the mixer might be balanced, but the RCA plugs are unbalanced. That's where your initial "earth loop" problem is. Using the transformers uncouples the ground from the signal path so breaking the loop.

Our sound PC is connected to our X32 mixing desk via a 3.5mm > dual RCA cable into the aux 5/6 RCA inputs on the desk. There is a bad hum on the PC's channel, such that when we're not playing audio tracks we tend to mute the channel to remove the buzz...

Does this comment imply / suggest / mean that I should be putting a DI/Transformer between the RCA's and the X32 desk in order to eliminate the buzz?

Peter

Yes, a di or transformer should take care of that for you

Thanks David!

It's annoyed me for three years; I upgraded the onboard sound card to a decent 7-ch PCI card last year presuming/hoping it was the onboard cheap card causing the problem. :(

Peter

Archived