4x EV ZXA1 vs 2x EV ELX 118p or FBT Promaxx 15SA?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm considering changing my subs for a lighter alternative following a physio appointment for my back today. Originally I was hoping to get a pair of JBL PRX718XLF subs but following my appointment today I was told I really shouldn't be carrying anything heavier than 30kg max due to problems I've been having with my back and shoulders!

This has led me to consider a few different alternatives for future gigs. My only options that I can find are the FBT Promaxx 15SA's or four smaller subs like the EV ZXA1's?

Firstly has anyone tried both the EV ELX118p's AND the FBT Promaxx 15SA's? Secondly, what are your thoughts on changing to something like 4x the EV ZXA1's from a single pair of ELX118p's? I've considered adding wheels to my ELX118p's but due to living in a pretty rural part of the country I will still need to carry the ELX118p's for some gigs.

Thanks

Quite a bit depends on the kind of music you are using them for. Almost all of the time increased driver size and enclosure volume translate to heavier, but with lower bottom end. So if you want the 30Hz stuff, you're stuck with 18", and the ELX aren't that heavy for a powered 18" sub.

If you have back problems you have to look after your back very carefully. I would take a helper and use the kit you want or write into your contract that the venue has to provide a local crew person [humper] to help with the lifting. If you don't protect your back it could get worse and stop you from doing the job all together.

Recommended lift from the HSE is 25KG (page 10) at waist height for an average male. I have back problems & have most heavy things wheeled up, a single 18 sub is nearly impossible to lift & carry by ones self. I am luckily to have a van with a ramp & plan all manual handling tasks to minimize effort. I know this is not always possible but destroying your back will destroy your life as well as your job/hobby. A helper is a must if you cant minimize excess manual handling.

Thanks guys. Yes I normally get a helper at most of the venues but there are occasions when this doesn't always happen. However, I need to carry the equipment a short distance where I live to load and unload. Thankfully I don't have any permanent back damage but I'm am constantly getting muscular problems which can last for weeks and be very painful. I have considered getting a bigger van with a ramp but I would prefer smaller and lighter gear as a first option.

The 25Kg guideline has been much misunderstood. It is a general guideline, not a recommendation and even less so a maximum, and has been superseded by clearer thinking on analysis of manual handling operations. We tend not to tell seven foot tall second row forwards that 25Kg is the max or even "recommended" any more. Weight is only one of 15 or more factors in back injury, See this OSHA site. Also see INDG 383 for more recent info.

Dickie, if you do need to change the subs then do handle each option personally. An unbalanced lighter load can do more damage than just sheer weight. I suspect, however, that you might have technique problems because you say it is muscular rather than skeletal. Wheels on a dolly or a sack truck with inflatable tyres might be one answer but do look at INDG 383 about lifting technique. They stress the two-man-lift aspect as well as mech aids.

FWIW I did my back in way back in '76 and was off work for weeks, went back, picked up a bag of sugar and was screaming in agony again. Since then I have outworked and outlifted younger, fitter, bigger men right up until I was past 60 so take care of your back and it will take care of you. Technique is vital and not biting off more than you can chew essential. Don't be macho!

Archived