cat5e,cat6 or cat7

j rayner

hi folks.we are upgrading our cat5e for our x32.can someone tell me if the cat6 or cat7 would be any better than our cat5e cable.we are running about 90m and we want it on a drum for faster layout..thanks

I have just been sdvised cat7.was told more robust etc.any thoughts gang

as far as I know they recomend cat5e.my thoughts was to upgrade a bit with eather cat6 or cat7..I was recomended somer cat7 by a supplier.said it was better gear and more robust for touring

and more expensive.

Remember that a supplier is just another salesman.

Also remember that the higher numbered CATs aren't simply an improved version for all purposes. Yes they'll support higher speeds for Ethernet traffic but AES50 isn't Ethernet.

I've only encountered the installation version of CAT6 but it is a lot less flexible than CAT5. If your current cable works, you won't see any improvement from a different cable - it'll either work or it won't.

hi folks.we are upgrading our cat5e for our x32.can someone tell me if the cat6 or cat7 would be any better than our cat5e cable.we are running about 90m and we want it on a drum for faster layout..thanks

Cat7 is utterly pointless for what you need and is designed for running 10 Gigabit Ethernet over distances of up to 100m. The category of the cables says nothing about how robust it is and is to do with the electrical properties of the cable. How robust it is depends on what material the twisted pairs are enclosed in and how it is constructed.

The x32 uses the 'SuperMac' variant of AES-50 which is only based on Fast Ethernet physical layer, not even Gigabit, and will get to 100m or more over decently made and terminated Cat5E cable. Behringer recommend a shielded cable.

If you want spend money Tourcat from Vandamme or RAMcat from Klotz. 100m of either on a drum is going to be several hundred pounds.

Cat7 is utterly pointless for what you need and is designed for running 10 Gigabit Ethernet over distances of up to 100m. The category of the cables says nothing about how robust it is and is to do with the electrical properties of the cable. How robust it is depends on what material the twisted pairs are enclosed in and how it is constructed.

The x32 uses the 'SuperMac' variant of AES-50 which is only based on Fast Ethernet physical layer, not even Gigabit, and will get to 100m or more over decently made and terminated Cat5E cable. Behringer recommend a shielded cable.

If you want spend money Tourcat from Vandamme or RAMcat from Klotz. 100m of either on a drum is going to be several hundred pounds.

aparently behringer/ music group are releasing their own branded cable shortly.!!!!!!

Read the manual, whats been said is right about type of cable, but most manufacturers prefer a solid core and screened cable.

I bought some cable from direct cable systems and made drums up myself. Very good cable.

thanks a lot folks.there was some sommercable on thoman.cat7.said it was good for all digi mixers and robust.,361 pound on a drum.75m I think.was thinking that would be the way to go but not sure now.thanks for your input

What Brian said!

I own a couple of drums of Duracat, along with a couple of the Thomann ones. This last week I had all 4 run in for a show in a local theatre. They had to run through a stage extension, then up on to band risers either side. When it came to the get-out I was really quite concerned for the safety of my expensive cables, as the crew we're working quite quickly to remove the extension and risers that they ran under.

Whilst I see that for simple runs, cat5 is very convenient, I've got to say that it took me longer to carefully remove these ones than it would have done if they'd been a big analogue multi as I was having to be extra careful. Cat5 snags under everything, whereas a big analogue multi tends to just roll over small obstacles. Analogue multi's also tend to afford better protection to themselves. People are less likely to step on one and they don't kink.

I'd have had a much more leisurely get-out if I'd been using cheap cat5 that I could have binned if things hadn't gone well.

What Brian said!

I own a couple of drums of Duracat, along with a couple of the Thomann ones. This last week I had all 4 run in for a show in a local theatre. They had to run through a stage extension, then up on to band risers either side. When it came to the get-out I was really quite concerned for the safety of my expensive cables, as the crew we're working quite quickly to remove the extension and risers that they ran under.

Whilst I see that for simple runs, cat5 is very convenient, I've got to say that it took me longer to carefully remove these ones than it would have done if they'd been a big analogue multi as I was having to be extra careful. Cat5 snags under everything, whereas a big analogue multi tends to just roll over small obstacles. Analogue multi's also tend to afford better protection to themselves. People are less likely to step on one and they don't kink.

I'd have had a much more leisurely get-out if I'd been using cheap cat5 that I could have binned if things hadn't gone well.

I notice that VDC do a 'multicore' version of TourCat that has 4 Cat5e in one 18mm package. Bet that wouldn't snag like cheap Cat5! (probably wouldn't be £25 a roll, either)

What Brian said!

I notice that VDC do a 'multicore' version of TourCat that has 4 Cat5e in one 18mm package. Bet that wouldn't snag like cheap Cat5! (probably wouldn't be £25 a roll, either)

And it would be damn near as intractable as an analogue multicore http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif I haven't heard anybody moaning about the disappearance of the good old analogue snake, they were always a real PITAhttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I haven't heard anybody moaning about the disappearance of the good old analogue snake...

There's a lighting bloke I sometimes work with, who suddenly found he couldn't "just borrow" a line any more. :** laughs out loud **:

Archived