what lighting is best?

jimmy 123

Good Morning.

I am looking for help on how to light up a formal event that I wish to hold. I know it would be cheaper to hire but I'm looking at trying to make a go at putting these events on, on a regular basis.

I have roughly 20 pillars in a great hall that would look fantastic illuminated. Also there is a great reception area that I think would look great with mood lighting. I would like a back drop behind my stage speakers, (but dont know if this is outdated and old fashioned)? And finally advise on stage lighting.

Any help would do as there's is so much choice and prices out there.

Jimmy - grand idea, but how grand a budget? The biggest issue for this kind of event is support systems. You can use up lighters on architectural features, like arches, pillars, brick walls, and these are simple, sitting on the floor, so you just need cable planning. The lights themselves can be dirt cheap bright and hot PAR cans, (if you have enough electricity) or colour changing LED kit, that can do much more. As soon as you need light above, pointing downwards, you are into sky hooks (great but tricky to source) or stands, truss, scarf, hanging brackets, steel and fibre rope etc etc - plus the safe means to install it!

Hire isn't just cheaper - it lets you choose appropriate kit for the job. Uplighting a great hall for one job, but a sports hall for the next may mean very little of the kit for job one works in job 2.

The big hire companies have sufficient stock to quote very economical prices for these kinds of job - and a big stock of blacks (and the storage space for them) is part of their inventory. Many events now need more than black - so white is also quite common.

If you give us more info - size, budget, expectations maybe we can help further?

Use Hiring to teach you what is available then buy later if it fits your business model. Don't forget that you have to factor in control, cabling, connectors, spares, maintenance, trucking, support systems, flight cases and storage when not in use. Also buying kit is capital expenditure amortisable over several years whereas hire is 100% tax deductable from the specific event it is hired for. Don't expect to get your investment back from less than 20 events and that is if you are lucky enough to be able to use all the same kit for all these events.

I would agree with Paul and GR1 but the first thing you need is a business plan. You will need to sort out insurances, taxes, registration and "stuff" before you can legally take money for "hire or reward". All these things have been discussed on BR as well as the more technical things you ask about. Use the SEARCH function on the top right, underneath your name and a wealth of information already exists.

My personal hobby-horse is training and qualifications. Plugging in a few lights as a favour to a mate's band is "play" taking money for it is "work" and the law steps in with hob-nailed boots. You need to be able to prove "competence" in everything you do "at work".

I know it's a pain, I know we didn't have this cr@p back when Pterodactyls darkened the sky and Muddy Waters invented electricity but that is how it is now.

I'm looking at trying to make a go at putting these events on, on a regular basis.

Hmmm...

Negative comment alert...

Whilst not wanting to stifle the enthusiasm of any new venture, it's going to be one of those cases where if you're unsure of how to do this sort of thing to start with, it's perhaps best NOT to start at all just yet. Being involved with setting up something like this doesn't mean you're anywhere near qualified to organise it yourself, mainly for the reasons already expounded above.

My suggestion - if this is a paid 'gig' then pay someone experienced to do it for the first (two or three) time and watch/observe/learn then decide whether you have the aptitude to go it alone.

Thanks for all your replies folks and your honesty.

I will take your advice on board and hire for the first 5 events or so. Learn the basics.

Thanks again. (first time I've ever used a forum) http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Of course there is nothing to stop you approaching some local events companies and seeing about either working for them or join them as a work experience volunteer for a short time? If you don't ask, you don't get. You might be in an especially strong position if part of the deal is to look after the event you already have in your hands... Just a thought.

You need either the art (lighting design etc) or the engineering (Lanterns, cables and stands), to be able to start this project yourself. All this you have to store between events at cost + devaluation. If you have the business then most hire companies will talk to you about design and supply for your event, they will also take the kit away and get it ready for it's next outing which may not be your next event.

In the Christmas season kit often goes from gig to gig not touching a stores at all, yours may just be one of those events.

Archived