1U rackmount mixer

jonathanhill

I am looking to replace the Mackie mixer that distributes and powers the show relay mic.

Requirements are:

At least one mic input, with phantom power.

At least one stereo output, preferably two. One output needs to be balanced.

1U rackmountable as it has to fit in an existing rack

No more than 300mm deep

I am not that fussed about audio quality as it is only processing the feed from the show relay microphone. Ideally, I would like to spend less than £300, including VAT.

Think I would look at a Cloud CX261, I do love the Cloud units for things like show relay, as they are totally bombproof, and just work day in day out. Things like remote mute switches and priority stereo inputs which duck the others are really useful too for things like recorded show calls.

Will usually do things like ducking on the mic inputs as well - over the stereo - so idiot proof for show calls.

What ive used in the past is the Extron MVC121. http://www.extron.co.uk/product/product.aspx?id=mvc121plus&subtype=354&s=4 its got an inbuilt dsp and 3 ins two stereo outs, Phantom power for the mic two... should be around your budget and it will rackmount with the kit, but its so small you may not need to... Ive used these before where you need to take the desk out, mix in the room mics, add a bit of processing and feed a breakout room/ streaming server / loop amp etc. Its fit and forget as to fiddle enough to break it you need at the very least a screwdriver or a laptop running dsp configurator.

Studiomaster C3 would do the job. 4 mic inputs with phantom. 4 mono/stereo line. Main outs on XLR. Pre and post-fade sends. 1U chassis. Downside is the way the EQs are grouped - mic channel 1 gets individual EQ, the rest of the inputs get grouped EQ. Knobs are quite close together, so not brilliant for fat fingers. Maybe slightly too many knobs to be intuitive.

I used a Stageline MMX602 one - hissed like a bag of snakes.

Rane make a truckload of products that are perfect for the job. I use an old CP62 for stage relay, picked up second hand for a song, built like a tank, expect it will outlast me. A non-discontinued product that looks the part might be the CP52s[/ur], which ticks all the boxes. They also have line ins, so you can put a radio or MP3 player through the dressing rooms as BGM when nothing is happening. Or even a feed from the stage manager for shout.

Many thanks for all the recommendations, much food for thought there.

I think that the ART MicroMix that Dave linked to first may be the most cost-effective solution because it is only needed for phantom and gain for the show relay mic. I just need to check the microphone to see if it will work on a 36V phantom power.

If cost effective is the name of the game than we use a Behringer Shark for that - which gives phantom power and gain, but also compression which is nice for the show relay mic, so that you don't get deafened by the applause / brass band but you can still make out the lines on stage.

It's taller than 1U but it's a similar little box so it if can be hidden in the back of the rack etc then you're okay. Don't think it's available new but used around £40 max.

It's taller than 1U but it's a similar little box so it if can be hidden in the back of the rack etc then you're okay. Don't think it's available new but used around £40 max.

There are certainly still new ones in the channel however neither studiospares or thomann seem to carry them anymore which is usually a good indicator. It's still on Behringer's website but that means nothing.

IN terms of things which do what a shark does ie a single channel with a phantom and a compressor then there is the DBX 286 S, then a huge number of extraordinarily expensive boutique 'complete channels'.

Back on the original topic we have one of these:

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gr05/

and it appears to put up with extreme levels of abuse with no ill effects. Note for some reason the phantom is only +15v which should work with the majority of modern condensers but may lower the noise floor a bit.

Archived