storage in shipping containers

pmcd

Depends what you are storing.

Containers are dry and reasonably ok for most things. I wouldn't keep perishables in there such as costumes without having some vents and heat etc. There are a few companies out there that will see you a container and be done with it, others will kit it out for you, put in vents and power etc. I like the landscape door ones (doors all down the side) for simple storage and then another for flattage and timber

True, Like I said there are companies that will kit it out for you, line and insulate it, IIR Brian has a rather well decked out one. I guess it all depends on what the op wants to store. I never had any issues with timber, props and fabric /foam puppets.

Your problem in a sealed metal box exposed to sunlight will be the build up of humidity inside. Which can lead to mold growing on (particularly) natural fibres. A few ventilation vents and possibly a dehumidifer will help in this. One thing worth noting though, is that it's very easy to get locked inside a shipping container as we have seen on the news in recent days and be unable to get out. Let's say you are working inside and some numpty comes along and things "who's left that open?" and closes it. Well, you'll have the longest dressing up session of your life, thats for sure.

You can get shipping container sized containers that are prepped for storage. They already have dehumids built in, and are usually finished in a nicer wall and floor finish and have lighting and sometimes power inside. They can also have an internal handle to get out, and the security arrangement on them is more robust. They are as much like portacabins as shipping containers really.

I did some temping when I was poor and delivered these things to various farms and stately homes where the occupants needed somewhere to store their belongings whilst the house was refurbished.

http://www.shippingc...conversions.php is one example but there are others

For a lo-fi solution you can also use something like this to control moisture levels in a more standard shipping container

You will want to check details of your insurance before keeping high value goods in them. You can get thick walled armoured ones, but they are expensive. There were some stories going round when I was delivering them of people who'd put great big padlocks on the containers, only for the thieves to gas axe their way in through the side... and then the more extreme example of the guy who stored his vintage sports car in one, and the thieves stole a Hiab truck, put the entire container on the truck, and took it somewhere quiet to break into it more carefully. Yes of course high value goods are shipped in them daily but the insurance for goods being shipped in containers is different to those being permanently stored there.

You will almost certainly also need planning permission if permanent. We recently looked hard at using one for storage at the local village hall. When the actual costs of delivery, installation, insulation, lining, heating and lighting were added up, its more economic to have a timber framed building (Effectively a large shed/garage) installed which is what we are now planning to do. It will also match the village hall which is the same construction. (Fireproof and vandal resistant composite boards over the timber frame.)

Almost impossible to keep mould out of soft fabrics stored long-term, is the short answer. Temperature fluctuation is your worst enemy. Dehumidifiers work but take a fair bit of juice and also need regular emptying.

E2A, from experience the better quality, well-sealed containers don't come cheap for storage purposes and all the hundreds of them full of books round here suffer from damp.

Funnily enough I am actually living in a shipping container for the duration of Edinburgh Fringe. I can report that it is mostly dry but my laptop did get a bit damp in the 'safe storage' container - I repurposed some stage lights in my venue to dry it out http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Lots depends on the condition of the container! If there is concrete on the roof there is a leak that was bodged. Board it out completely with thin ply on battens, drill about 100 6mm holes near the eaves distributed in groups all round, put a spaced cover over then so that air can pass but not things.. My dehumidifier needs 200w when needed and has two humidity settings and continuous but it needs push button starting -there is no remote start.

Fit proper door locks and disable the container fasteners.

You can buy then ready converted for a price.

My dehumidifier has a hose connection for constant flow to a drain. It was a cheapo from B&Q.

Archived