Heavy Racks - on grass?

paulears

We rationalised our racks from 8-10U size to just one 24U because you can wheel it to the van, and then just tip it over onto it's back and slide it in - a one man job compared to the two old ones that needed two people to load/unload.

This weekend we've just discovered we're playing in a field, in a giant teepee (sp??) It will be a push from the nearest parking and with the iffy weather the ground will be soggy. The rack is heavy - 4 amps plus lots of other content. Anybody got any neat and simple methods to get this across a field. I'm thinking maybe a few bits of ply to lay down to do an Egyptian leap frog process, but not really sure what to do?

Golf buggy. Or as you say some plywood sheets. Get them to provide a Defender flatbed? Really it should be the venue that provides infrastructure and support. But yeah, best to assume that they wont, or it will be there for the in but on the out you are strangely on your own, at 3:00 in the rain.....

Full sized Avo rack and Socapex trunks over muddy field - thats nasty, yet we have to do it every year at Glastonbury circus, have yet to get the truck anywhere near the stage. We did get some boards this year which helps, although they were slippery melamine coated which was interesting - but better than nowt.

In the past when faced with this I've tipped the cases onto a wheelboard with larger wheels that those on the case. This works better than a tall case that tips over easily when stuck, but if the ground is soaked, as it most likely will be, then a couple of sheets of ply and your method may well work better.

It really depends how heavy and how far you need to move it...

Options in no particular order are:

1 Temporary track as you suggest.

2 Speak to organisers and get them to put in a track

3 All terrain forklift if there is one on site

4 Local crew (or the band)! Depending how heavy it is, and assuming it is not too top heavy, 4 people might be your best bet and just carry it in stages pausing for a rest if needed.

5 Put the rack on something with bigger wheels more suited to terrain, in the past I have used sack barrows, nursery carts and even wheelbarrows on outdoor sites. Look at building and nursery trade websites. Also useful generally for ferrying other kit to the tent.

I suspect, based on previous events that the arrival will be fine, but at midnight, in the dark, the helpers will vanish. I do actually have one of those balloon tyred sack barrows that could be a good one?

Sack barrows with good pneumatic tyres are good as long as the rack is not too top heavy and as long as the lifting plate will fit between the wheels on your case. You will probably need two people pulling the trolley, definitely easier than pushing!

I've successfully moved Avo 48way FD racks like this, sounds like you need to do a test with your trolley.

I've just googled the address and it's a posh farm with paddock, so not too far - so the ideas look great guys - thanks!

My geography is pretty bad, so West Yorkshire isn't where I thought! This appears to be between Leeds and Bradford.

Ground Guards with are a great alternative to plywood, since discovering them I've regularly had them deployed along load in routes on grass, and they have helped rescue a few stuck vehicle too. (they have a checkerplate pattern vehicle side, and a smooth textured pedestrian side, which is ideal for flight cases)

This firm is West Yorkshire based and hires them out:

http://ground-guards.name/uk/products/road-track/

I'm surprised more firms who regularly have to unload their own equipment on unfamiliar greenfield sites don't invest in a few of their own to keep in the truck rather than assuming site production will always provide.

slightly off topic but cheap.

an alternative for the ply

I needed to shift a couple of tons of top-soil from my drive to the bottom of the garden and only have a domestic wheel barrow. It was a wet autumn

I got a couple of sheets of hardboard cut into 24" strips and laid a track. It cost almost nothing and the hardboard stood up really well.

Depends on your wheel width, but very cheap.

I'd bet the point load for my wheelbarrow would be the same as for a loaded rack or trolley

Archived