Coiling multicore and other heavy cables

bruce

I always do laying it out on the floor in a circle about the size of a dustbin lid, then two wraps of tape (top and bottom) when it's done.

Thats mostly soca or the dreaded lectriflex though, not noise wires...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always preferred fig 8'ing multis in a flightcase, but saw a clever alternative on a recent get-in. A sheets of ply about 4' x 2' with two cable drums with the top removed screwed to it to fig 8 around. 4 casters and it worked!

Traffic cones work very effectively as well.

(Inside the flightcase, fastened down)

Peter

Heck, I guess I have been doing this too long . . . . at this point, I over/under ANYTHING I coil, just as a matter of habit, from feeders, mic cables, snakes, my garden hose (no kidding!), rope, whatever . . . . it is just automatic, and I have never found anything it didn't help. I do figure 8 some bigger feeders, simply because of the weight and difficulty of over under, and also to fit cases better . . .

- TIm

Heck, I guess I have been doing this too long . . . . at this point, I over/under ANYTHING I coil, just as a matter of habit, from feeders, mic cables, snakes, my garden hose (no kidding!), rope, whatever . . . . it is just automatic, and I have never found anything it didn't help.  I do figure 8 some bigger feeders, simply because of the weight and difficulty of over under, and also to fit cases better . . .

- TIm

He he :angry: me too.

I "can't" not do it (over and under) now, it is habitual for me as well.

Some people think I'm weird/obsessive, but it's so important to coil cables correctly... You take care of them... Theytake care of your sound and last longer.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for ressurecting, but the link appears to have moved. Does anyone have a copy of the file they could send me as I would be interested in seeing this technique (currently, just coil the cable around a traffic cone, tape it off and chuck it into store)

I always figure-8 all multicore cables over 10m. Seems to be the quickest and easiest. With Soca you can make small figure-8's and two bits of tape on one side of the 8 hold it together well enough to then chuck in a flightcase.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old post, but it was the closest I could find...

I am trying to find out where I can get some metal cable reels and winder from - the sort the BBC use, for 50-120m cables (NL4, 12 pair etc)... not having much luck with google but I know they are out there somewhere...

Anyone got any ideas?

Resurrecting an old post, but it was the closest I could find...

I am trying to find out where I can get some metal cable reels and winder from - the sort the BBC use, for 50-120m cables (NL4, 12 pair etc)... not having much luck with google but I know they are out there somewhere...

Anyone got any ideas?

Canford would be my first port of call.

Brian

Archived