Coiling multicore and other heavy cables

bruce

Yes, I know there have been lots of threads before on coiling cables. There's a very small number of "right" ways and a significantly larger number of "wrong" ways. "Over then under" is good. Figure-8 is also good - especially into a flightcase - anything that puts alternate twists in, so that they cancel out when uncoiled, and which doesn't cause any sharp bends.

That's easy for relatively lightweight cables - XLRs, TRS extensions etc - basically anything you can hold with one hand.

But what about heavier stuff - multicores, mains distro etc - which is more awkward to coil?

Specifically, I've got a 30m multicore. It's only used occasionally, and doesn't really justify a custom flightcase or reel. What's the best way to coil it for transportation and storage? Just use the usual "over and under" technique and fasten with cable ties etc? Try to find an old reel? Something else?

All comments welcome!

Bruce.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way that I have found is to just go to a tip and get one of teh large cable reels.

Maybe even contact an electrical company and ask if they have any of the wooden reels left. Im sure they wouldnt mind giving you a spare one or something.

Keeps it nice and tidy and out of the way when not in use.

I made a reel out of ply for my 30mtr 16x4 multi core (blue series - studio type)

It has only just fallen apart (the reel that is)

I now just put it on the floor, coil it over and under and not even tape it.

Si

I find the easiest way to coil the type of cable is to form the first loop with the stagebox on a formica topped table, or on the floor if smooth. Cable tie the loop then spin the loop with both hands, winding the cable onto the loop. Cable tie to retain the finished coil and again to retain the XLRs.

Brian

At the risk of being shown the door of the Blue Room, what is "Over and Under"? I have never seen this before, and to me, sounds like more work. I use the "chuck it over the banisters and coil it from above" method to keep cables coiling nicely.

Kind of hard to explain without showing someone. When you lay every other coil over into the palm of your hand you twist your wrist so that you lay the cable with your hand between the turns.

I've always preferred fig 8'ing multis in a flightcase, but saw a clever alternative on a recent get-in. A sheets of ply about 4' x 2' with two cable drums with the top removed screwed to it to fig 8 around. 4 casters and it worked! In desparation, fig 8 onto the floor, join a few cable ties together and tie lays together top, bottom, middle and intermediate points - ugly, but when tied at least you can chuck it in the van without it falling apart.

Am so gonna have to show this video at any church PA training days I get involved with.

They all fold the cables (they were nice ones at the start) AAARRGGGHHH No! and to make it worse, they keep them "neat" by using a rubber band.

So not good.

.... "Over and Under" .......  to me, sounds like more work.

It's a bit awkward at first, but very quickly becomes second nature. It's certainly not any more work, and saves time when uncoiling.

I use the "chuck it over the banisters and coil it from above" method to keep cables coiling nicely.

The problem with that - especially on loooong cables - is that by letting it dangle and coiling, you might think you're getting the twists out. But what you're actually doing is smoothly adding 1 twist per coil. The coiled cable looks nice and neat, but when you come to unroll and "throw out" the coil, you'll find that all the twists are there.

OOH, I didn't know that. Most of my cables are under 10m long, and it is only me that ever uses them. Have not had any problems with twisting yet. Downloading video as I type, thanks in advance for that. As to rubber bands, the chap that runs the OB side of things at hospital radio swears by them. He carries over 40 XLR leads, of at least 15m each, in a hold-all. The trick is to wind the cable over your arm, then put bands over each end to keep bundle tight (makes a sausage shapped bundle) Result? knotted cables everytime, but not one has broken, and the speed it takes to pack away is so much faster. :rolleyes: DON'T DO IT! :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Just watched the video, and you're right, it does look simple. Now I have to figure out how easy it is to do with left hand! Was happy to see my method of cable ties at male end is not a quirk!

Edit 2:

It is so simple, although for me, the first method felt clumsy, the second feels smooth, cheers for that, my lesson for the day!

Grrr! Badly wound cables of whatever size are a pet hate of mine. To receive a cable trunk back off a tour with a rats nest of leads is a real downer!

I quite like the idea of winding mic cables connected to each other onto a drum, you just snap off a cable as you need them. You can have more than one cable reel for different cable lengths. Particularly useful for smaller gigs.

Archived