Coiling multicore and other heavy cables

bruce

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried "figure of eighting" heavy mains into a large flightcase, but unless I'm doing something wrong, it's a rather space hungry way of storing cable, as you always end up with a great bulge in the centre where the overlap crosses.

I've opted for "under & over" and can just get 50m of 5 core 16mm into a compact 575x575x575mm trunk, with a Type 270H Rubber Box distro sitting nicely in the centre void. I find HO7 tends to fall into place, normally one "under" for very two "overs"

Tony

I have tried "figure of eighting" heavy mains into a large flightcase, but unless I'm doing something wrong, it's a rather space hungry way of storing cable, as you always end up with a great bulge in the centre where the overlap crosses.

It's difficult to describe, but try alternating the position of where the overlap occurs between front and back. If you lay each overlap on top of the previous, it will bulge as you've discovered but if you offset them, it's not nearly so much of a problem.

Exactly what I was thinking, but I can probably describe it even less. You effectively have a left/right or front/back overlap point so each figure of 8 is slightly different with one of the loops being smaller than the other so the "cross" point is closer to one of the posts (or position a post would be) and the NEXT figure of 8 is effectively upside down. This depend son size quite a bit as you can end up with too tight a bend if you're not careful. I started off thinking it would be difficult to describe as Shez says, but the realised it was even more difficult than I thought.

Archived