cloth sets on wipe track

claybags

Hi, this is my first post so please don't be too harsh with me. I have been involved with my school's drama productions over the last few years despite having no drama or theatre background and have had to learn as I've gone along, both set building and lighting. This year we are doing the sound of music and as we don't have the ability to fly away sets I understand you can wipe (that's a new word I've just learnt) them in on tracks. We do have a T60 track towards the back of the stage which is roped and I am sure I could set it up to wipe in one cloth set. I understand you can wipe two cloth sets on one track but I don't know how to set this up. Can anybody help?? The play seems to require 4 or 5 cloth sets so I expect I'm going to have to aquire another track if I have time

We do have a T60 track towards the back of the stage which is roped and I am sure I could set it up to wipe in one cloth set. I understand you can wipe two cloth sets on one track but I don't know how to set this up.

get rid of the rope,one cloth on the left hand set of runners,the other cloth on right hand set of runners,add more runners as needed and manually walk the cloth across the stage,a rope(bit of sash normally) tied to the 2 lead runners is a good idea as your pulling the runner not the cloth.also its a good idea to tie the last off stage cloth tie to the track end so you dont take the whole cloth for a walk across the stage.

Of course if you have an overlap track ( ie designed for a pair of curtains) then this wont work

If it is a single run of track you can easily run 3 cloths, one from the left, one from the right, and the 3rd changing sides as necesary

We do have a T60 track towards the back of the stage which is roped and I am sure I could set it up to wipe in one cloth set. I understand you can wipe two cloth sets on one track but I don't know how to set this up.

get rid of the rope,one cloth on the left hand set of runners,the other cloth on right hand set of runners,add more runners as needed and manually walk the cloth across the stage,a rope(bit of sash normally) tied to the 2 lead runners is a good idea as your pulling the runner not the cloth.also its a good idea to tie the last off stage cloth tie to the track end so you dont take the whole cloth for a walk across the stage.

many thanks for your ideas, my director will be pleased. Having slept on it I had thought the answer would be to walk them across, my inexperience have only ever seen rope pulling curtains before, again many thanks

many thanks to everybody for their help, my drama queen (director) will be pleased

We regularly do this, and in fact have three swipe T60 tracks on our stage ALL in use with two cloths on each.

There is NO need to ditch the main rope set.

Just hang the cloth that's going to be doing most of the 'work' on the corded runners, and hang the other cloth on from the other end. The sneaky bit is having a second lead runner up there and fitting a single sash line to that as a return line (you may, like us, need to fit a secondary pulley on the wall to transfer the pulling direction from the horizontal) - so then walk the cloth ON stage and use the line to haul it OFF.

Simples.

Archived