Female to female 5 pin DMX

salmon52

Hello all,

This might sound like a daft question, however do female to female 5 pin DMX cables exist?

I ask this question because in my theatre there is a male outlet of the wall and the DMX splitter I have has a male DMX in on the box. So the only solution I can see to fix my problem is to acquire a female to female 5 pin. If anyone can help me or give me some advice I would be most thankful!!

Many thanks in advance to help that is offered.

Salmon

Is it possible that the wall outlet is for a lighting desk or controller to be plugged into? DMX convention is the reverse of audio cables - the desk outputs on a female, and male connectors on receiving equipment. So the wall port should be receiving - i.e. an input into the system, not an output from it. If that's not the case, then maybe getting the connector changed would be a better idea!

The other end of that male 5 pin DMX wall socket is probably going to be a female 5 pin DMX wall socket and as revobuk says, is the desk feed into the dimmer room.

If you want to use the DMX patch where it is and as it is, you need two sets of adaptors:

a 5 pin female DMX to 3 pin male DMX adaptor, then a 3 pin female to 3 pin female adaptor from the sound world, then a 3 pin male DMX to 5 pin female adaptor. These adaptors will be too long and with the 5 pin DMX cable plugged in, will be easily damaged or succumb to gravity.

Change sexes for second adaptor.

It would be easier to get someone to make up a lead for you. I have made up a set to do this as sometimes you have a need to use them because a venues patch system was not well thought out and put in by non lighting trades.

If you want to use the DMX patch where it is and as it is, you need two sets of adaptors:

a 5 pin female DMX to 3 pin male DMX adaptor, then a 3 pin female to 3 pin female adaptor from the sound world, then a 3 pin male DMX to 5 pin female adaptor. These adaptors will be too long and with the 5 pin DMX cable plugged in, will be easily damaged or succumb to gravity.

Change sexes for second adaptor.

Why convert to 3 pin? If you are buying parts then buy two female 5 pin XLRs to make a sex changer. I would also buy a couple of males as well, as I suspect that you may need to make a male to male as well.

The only time that I would want to convert to 3 pin would be to utilise audio tie lines to distribute as they tend to be more plentiful. Clearly this is not recommended practice, and I would only do it if there were no other option. I would only use cable adaptors rather than the solid adaptors that have been linked to.

Alternatively, two of these and one of these will do the trick.

Can anyone say 'ugly'? I'm very much in the 'make up your own adaptors' camp, unless you're cobbling a temporary solution up on-site for an unplanned emergency.

A couple of 5 pin gender benders each way is part of my 'essential get out of jail adaptor kit'. Very useful for using tie lines that were put in for other reasons - for example getting DMX to floor fixtures using a tie line that was originally meant as a desk input for plotting sessions. Also useful when some muppet runs a long, awkward cable run the wrong way round...

I have a set that were used for a tour where the musician (read: computer operator) sent DMX information back to the desk at foh to trigger scenes and beat synced strobes and the like. Did have 2 sets but one never made it back to me. Has been handy a few times to have them in the tool box, but often only use them in pairs, where a patch panel is the wrong way round or an unfeasibly long cable has been run in backwards by an unsupervised local

If you want F-F and M-M adapters (those horrendous things that stick out 3") Neutrik do make them http://www.luminex.be/products/9000744/photo_9000744.png - any neutrik distributor should be able to order them in for you... but I would make my own - and give them a bit of length (at least 20cm).

Archived