Home sound system

PatrickLXdesker

Looking to put together my own sound system for the house. Plan is to use passive speakers including one sub, for a room around 10m by 6m. I understand I will need an amp to power the speakers as well. Could someone point me in the direction of some decent brands, websites etc? My limited knowledge of noise is theatre stuff, and I don't think £3000 RCF's are necessary for a small room!

I'd hazard a guess that you have decent ears if you work in theatre (even as a lampie?) and probably know what kind of sound you want. PA systems are very different from HiFi systems, the object with HiFi being to make the noise sound nice rather than louder, so they are often voiced for a flattering sound where a PA might be voiced to project or cut through above noisy guitar players. Plus you have to get your wife/partner to accept the cosmetics in a living room. I spent two years doing the "HiFi" thing around 35 years ago, dozens of magazines and hours spent in HiFi shops until I got what I liked. I now, many years later, have a home studio and don't listen critically to music in the living room so the Sugden A48 is in a box and the Kef140ABs are my studio monitors. You could try to some mid range active studio monitors but they are voiced for accuracy and detail rather simple LFP. I'd go to a decent HiFi retailer and listen to a few systems (i.e. CD deck, amp and speakers, very few 'all-in-one'systems are satisfying to the ear), you can get a lot for your money if you chose carefully.

Good hunting

Archived