Micro Bass Extender

Vin Trouble

I recently posted regarding my HK 1000 PA system, and as that is now up on blocks I wonder if I could ask for some more advice regarding it's replacement. I work mostly in social and bowling clubs with a female singer, and we really want to cut down on weight as some of the carry-ins are back breaking (47 and 53 years young). So we have decided on a pair of QSC K8's and a sub. The sub will more likely be a 'bass extender' , as we don't need the weight or bottom end for what we do, musically. So, Are there any 8" or 10" powered boxes that will do the job, with 2 x XLR in and out, so that we can feed the K8's, or is there such a thing as a compact mixing desk that will let you feed the tops, L and R, and a separate sub out to a small sub? Not going for any other tops, as the K8's are a done thing. Finally, would the K8's be any good on their own in small quieter gigs? Thanks in advance. John.

1385198920[/url]' post='486914']

Not sure what a 'bass extender' is??

Why not choose the Ksub, it's designed to work well with your K8 tops?

David

I think I first heard the term with the blurb on a pair of EV SB 121a's, meaning (I think) that they don't really go as low as your archetypal subs, but just add a bit of bottom end to your tops. Of course you could argue that is what most subs do. The Ksub is a bit heavier than ideal, although it does have wheels. Looking for sub (pun intended) 20 kgs.

I think by bass extender, I think he means something well matched to the top, that is relatively small and lightweight for moving around, and to be used to extend the LF performance in a ballanced way, rather than having a boomy 2x18" box blasting out 30-40hz much louder than anything else in the mix.

As he has chosen K8's as his tops, he is probably looking for something that can achieve a (theoretical) 124db continuous, and keep its response down to 45hz ish (-3db) to be crossed at around 100hz, with an active x-over built into the sub, and capable of taking in a stereo pair of inputs, summing this to mono for the sub, and then passing it through to the tops.

I wont suggest anything as I have no idea what kind of budget you are looking at.

In regards to the other question (about wiring): I'm not sure exactly what you mean, most powered subs will take a 'full range' input (ie the main outs from the desk) and then apply the crossover internally, allowing the signal for the tops to pass through a pair of XLR outputs (still in stereo). If you want to do subs on a separate feed, you could use a post-fade aux send to go to the subs, and connect the main outs directly to the tops

Hi John, from what you have stated the K8s will do a fine job, just add a single K-Sub keeps it all very simple. You can drive the system from any line level mixing console . Simple, light, musical and yes, the K8's in a small space will be just fine. By the way, when you put the K8s in their tote bags, two of them sit on top of a K-Sub and the K-sub has wheels so you don't have to carry anything!

1385219368[/url]' post='486930']

Hi John, from what you have stated the K8s will do a fine job, just add a single K-Sub keeps it all very simple. You can drive the system from any line level mixing console . Simple, light, musical and yes, the K8's in a small space will be just fine. By the way, when you put the K8s in their tote bags, two of them sit on top of a K-Sub and the K-sub has wheels so you don't have to carry anything!

Hi Chris, I'm beginning to lean towards the Ksub, even though it's (to me) still quite heavy, at around 26 kgs. It does have castors, so that helps, and I suppose most of the smaller subs have no wheels, so it's a full lift from car to stage. I missed out on one on ebay recently, so I will keep looking, as a new one is pretty steep for me.Thanks to everyone else, too - I really appreciate your contributions.

1385311335[/url]' post='486997']
1385288806[/url]' post='486983']

This almost ticks all the boxes (1201/124dB continuous/peak, 47-125 Hz at -10dB, 18kg) and will probably be cheaper new than a used Ksub http://altoproaudio....roducts/tssub12 at £249. Well worth a listen IMHO.

Sam have you used this? Seems cheap.

I haven't used the Alto Truesonic Sub but I do have a TS110A in my inventory and plan to buy another (I use it to supplement three Yamaha DXR10s when I need extra monitors) and I've also installed a couple of pairs of TS112As for clients. They are far better than they should be for the price (the TS112A was significantly better than a Mackie SRM450mk2 when I auditioned them) and build quality is decent. On that basis I'd say the sub is worth a listen if you can get to a dealer. It won't be a match for a Ksub but might do the job nicely.

1385318234[/url]' post='486999']
1385311335[/url]' post='486997']
1385288806[/url]' post='486983']

This almost ticks all the boxes (1201/124dB continuous/peak, 47-125 Hz at -10dB, 18kg) and will probably be cheaper new than a used Ksub http://altoproaudio....roducts/tssub12 at £249. Well worth a listen IMHO.

Sam have you used this? Seems cheap.

I haven't used the Alto Truesonic Sub but I do have a TS110A in my inventory and plan to buy another (I use it to supplement three Yamaha DXR10s when I need extra monitors) and I've also installed a couple of pairs of TS112As for clients. They are far better than they should be for the price (the TS112A was significantly better than a Mackie SRM450mk2 when I auditioned them) and build quality is decent. On that basis I'd say the sub is worth a listen if you can get to a dealer. It won't be a match for a Ksub but might do the job nicely.

Thanks, Sam. I will have a wee look. There's one on ebay open box for £199...

1385206734[/url]' post='486919']

Would the EV ZXa1 be the kind of thing you are looking for? Slightly over the 20kg, but will handle the rest of your spec.

One on the short list, mate.

Archived