Pyro courses in the South-East

jmdh

... it doesn't feature product-specific training on any pyro system.

Not correct. In the session after lunch, delegates use both Le Maitre and Skyhigh firing system to present a small 'show'. Between them, these two manufacturers represent something like 99% of firing systems that your average technician is likely to come across. In addition, during the morning, delegates have seen over 25 different effects, followed by another 25 different types in the afternoon. The reality is that, by the end of the course, most people have seen, and often fired, more different effects than they will ever fire in their working career.

OK, thats really positive.

I just think its wrong to insist on the ASP course with no further question, as if all other ways of learning pyro are insufficient.

The Pyro Directive specifically says that "Training by a course recognised in the industry" The ASP is currently the only training provider that meets the required standard. You could start a course but when would it be "Recognised by the industry"

In what context is that said?

Hi OP,

From your profile it looks like you're a member of OU - I'm a member of the university theatre tech society and I may be able to give you some more venue specific advice if you're in one of our regular venues. Give me a PM and I may be able to help( although if you've been asked for a pyro certification, I can't get you out of it of course!)

I just think its wrong to insist on the ASP course with no further question, as if all other ways of learning pyro are insufficient.

As a venue manage, I can certainly sympathise with ANY venue insisting that only those who have completed the ASP course are permitted to rig and/or operate pyro on our site.

No, it's not, as Brian says, a certificate of competence, and yes it is essentially only a certificate of attendance.

BUT it is the ONLY course available in the UK (as far as I am aware) open to the general populace and is therefore the ONLY thing that can guarantee that a person has at least been given the basic grounding on how to select, rig and operate pyro effects in this country.

In my venue, however, anyone new to me, personally, would still have to demonstrate their knowledge/experience with their chosen effects (no matter how basic) because after all it isn't just about how to fire them, but also knowing how to make sure that the whole cast & crew are fully aware of the effects being used and that they are conscious of what's going to happen. That could well be as simple as the prerequisite 'chat' to the assembled bodies prior to tech describing the effects, where they are and preferably giving a demo of each effect whilst they watch (that gets all the 'oohs' and 'aaaaahs' out of the way to start with!).

All of this MAY very well be something a 'non-certificated' SM is fully aware of, but if that newbie comes in without the ASP course under their belt, they're going to either have to demonstrate to me satisfactorily that they do know their stuff or they have a choice of using one of the house techs or not having pyro at all.

Oh, and since one group brought in a box of 20 foot 10 sec stage gerbs about 12 years ago to use on a stage with a border height of just under 15 feet, I insist on approving and buying in ALL pyro through the venue's account.

Sorry, Top Cat, but as a venue manager who takes safety very seriously (as should we all) pyro is high on my list of reducable risks. There's always a risk of even the modest plug-in TFM or silver star used incorrectly causing injury or fire or both if used inappropriately.

No need to apologise, I completely agree with you. In house testing is something I do because assessing somebody do something is the best way to ensure you're happy with what they do. YES the ASP course is the only one that proves they've been taught the stuff, however there is no guarantee that it was retained or even fully understood properly in the first place. Really I would say that any venue permitting the use of pyro ought to have somebody in-house who can competently use pyro, in order to ensure incoming productions do so safely themselves... And in that scenario, that competent person could assess the ability of non-ASP users too, or provide supervision (at a cost, if deemed necessary) to new users such as this OP here.

Archived