Advice !

jsteers

Hey guys !

Basically ive been looking into going the Backstage Academy, I went and had a look round and it suits me down to the ground ! The thing is I have not done anything like it in the past as when I was at college I didnt really know what I wanted to do so did some generic subjects.

I just want advice on what topics and what type of things I should study online or places to ask where I could help out and learn from people before I go as I dont want to roll up with no knowledge when alot of students starting at the same time will of done sound tech and courses alike at college !

Would appreciate some help of what things I would need to read up about !

If you've got in, I'd not worry. Many courses like these spend quite a bit of their time 'unlearning' bad practice taught by schools and colleges, plus of course, every backstage person is an expert when they start.

Do some generic reading to make sure your grasp of terminology, jargon and technology is pretty up to date, then allow them to fill you up with knowledge!

2 most important bits of advice for learning

1) go experience stuff - just go to as many different shows/gigs/events as you can and look at what's being used and how it's being used so that you have as broad a knowledge as possible of what's actually being done across the industry rather than obsessively studying one venue/rig/designer. As Paulears says half the problem teachers have is trying to knock the bad habits and narrow mindsets out of people who have already decided on one method or style.

2) go to collage with an open mind - the teachers there DO know more than you, the DO have way more experience than you and there IS a reason why they tell/teach you the stuff they do. Absorb and consider everything they teach you and you'll find yourself doing just as well as anyone else.

Tom, the great thing about BA is that it is the industry and just being there ensures that many arena shows, rock and corporate, are rehearsed, built and designed on-site. Many different designers and crews are constantly rotating through the place. I don't think there is anywhere that sees more cutting-edge technology or a more diverse mix of the people in the live industry on a regular basis.

James, welcome to BR and tell us some more about yourself on your profile. What floats your boat? What interests you about this game? What subjects have you been studying? What's the winner of the 3:30 at Newmarket, that sort of thing.

Do spend a little while playing with the "search" functions because most of your questions on background reading have been answered fairly comprehensively in the past.

2 most important bits of advice for learning

1) go experience stuff - just go to as many different shows/gigs/events as you can and look at what's being used and how it's being used so that you have as broad a knowledge as possible of what's actually being done across the industry rather than obsessively studying one venue/rig/designer. As Paulears says half the problem teachers have is trying to knock the bad habits and narrow mindsets out of people who have already decided on one method or style.

2) go to collage with an open mind - the teachers there DO know more than you, the DO have way more experience than you and there IS a reason why they tell/teach you the stuff they do. Absorb and consider everything they teach you and you'll find yourself doing just as well as anyone else.

*College.

Sorry for being pedantic, but seeing as we are talking about an 'Education Establishment'

*Frantically checks own post for any mistakes!*

Go in with an open mind. They do know more, thats why they are teaching you. You learn the basics and how things should be done in these places, but when the touring crews come in and have to improvise, you then learn how it is done in the real world.

That's guys yeah I'm just willing to put 100% into everything to get the most out of this academy , I'm going to help out at the 02 arena with a tour manager friend so hopefully get some knowledge from him ! Like they told me at BA it's not what you know it's how much effort and time your willing to put in which I am looking forward too ! Thanks for the advice and will be reading up in everything it's just finding the good info as a lot is filled with people explaining too deep into things which isn't 100% relevant !

Also sorry if this has been discussed I haven't really used forums before haha

I'm also wondering about Backstage Academy. I went over a few weeks ago and wasn't really sure if it was for me. Coming from a background in theatre and a keen specific interest in lighting, I'm worried that it may be too broad for me and a little too live event heavy. Especially considering I'm also coming from A Levels, I'm skeptical as to whether an FdA is appropriate. Wouldn't mind anybody's opinion of the course...

The topic starter has been to Backstage and is keen to get started there - it's obviously the right choice for him, and we wish him well.

You've been, and you have reservations about course content and (perhaps reading into your post) whether you feel doing an FdA is appropriate if you have got good A levels?

I think you have answered your own question... Backstage delivers a particular type of course, and does it well. If you have strong A levels and are looking for a more theatre based course which concentrates on lighting, then there are many degrees that would fit your requirements. Ultimately, since you are paying quite a lot for your studies, you need to be sure that a course is right for you. UCAS search, followed by visits or open days is the way forward!

Simon

Disclaimer: This post has been written after a few post show beers, so please do excuse any spelling or grammar errors! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

First of all welcome to the Blue Room!

My second question is have you had any hands on experience in the industry pre to looking at Backstage Academy? Don't get me wrong their training is great, I'm looking at doing a short course there myself in the coming months, breaks in work aside.

A little about me, I came into this industry from pretty much following a family of lighting engineers, it's been a family career path for a few generations now, I'm now the 3rd. I had one or two contacts when I started out, which has now got me to the place where I am now. Any course is worth its weight in gold, from CSSD to LAMDA, to Backstage Academy, it's all about the work you put in out of course hours, going for drinks with LD's, TM's and the like, the more you're willing to scarifies your social life, the better! Because at the end of the day, any touring pro doesn't really have one of those. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Archived