Animated forest footage

john-sp

Hi all,

We have a customer from an amateur dramatic society in the Derby area who is looking for some footage of an animated forest such as that seen in Disney's Snow White. It's not the kind of thing we do so I thougfht I'd ask here. There is no budget so it would need to be free non-copyright footage.

I know it's a long shot but I'd like to help. I've already suggested he contacts the University which he tells me he will do.

Thanks in advance,

John

I'd have thought that animated jungle is quite simple for anyone to do who has access to somebody who can draw! Assuming you can get the images of foreground, mid distance, distance and sky then it's not terrifically hard to animate this kind of thing in most video editors, plus after effects - which most video people have access to. It's not normally necessary to use dedicated animation software for this kind of thing, which you see on CBeebies quite a bit. The technique involves the artwork being larger than the frame, and then you do left/right/in/out on each layer to create the effect. I'm sure they can find somebody who can draw, and then somebody who can edit within the local area.

video link here

The link is something I was experimenting with a couple of years ago - cutting out images in photoshop, and then animating a sky and an aeroplane image. No video elements at all, just the video editor and 3 layers.

You might be able to find a few scenes in Big Buck Bunny http://www.bigbuckbunny.org which you could chop out and loop.

Big Buck Bunny is an animated short film, licensed under Creative Commons, so you can basically do what you want with it as long as the source is acknowledged. You can download in lots of formats and resolutions from that address.

• 2 weeks later...
I did this last year for amdram. I assume you mean the 100 year forest?. I got a timelapse file from Youtube of a suitable plant. I think it might have been cress. I am a picture editor by trade so made the growth work over say 10 seconds . I then turned it through 90 degrees. Duplicated that and on another video layer flipped this so the greenery came in from both sides. At which point stage lighting took over.

Archived