DMX Control of sound effects

avcottle

I'm after an easy and cheap solution to be able to control sounds effects and music tracks from DMX.

I already have a USB to DMX ENTTEC unit.

Is there anything available, either hardware or software based. I would like to use DMX channels to fire off sound effects or music during a show, so these can be programmed into the lighting desk with the lighting cues and make operation easy.

Any ideas would be great!

Many thanks

Adrian

Is there anything available, either hardware or software based. I would like to use DMX channels to fire off sound effects or music during a show, so these can be programmed into the lighting desk with the lighting cues and make operation easy.

Any ideas would be great!

If you've got some minor programming skills, have a look at Open Lighting Architecture. It is a suite of applications that can be used to receive, merge and transmit DMX signals via Ethernet (ArtNet, ACN etc.) and also hardware interfaces. As part of the suite, there is an application (ola_trigger) that can be used to call commands in response to different DMX levels. You could use this to trigger a sound playing application. It's definitely not an all-in-one solution, but depending on your skill level and inventiveness, it can be used to achieve some pretty clever stuff.

Apologies if this is a more technical solution than you're looking for - but it might be suitable for someone.

Thank you all for your time. controlling WinAmp will be worth looking into and I'll also check out OLA too and see if I can get my head around it.

The problem is we dont have anyone to cue sound and the lighting is a little crazy so I was looking for an all in one solution!

SCS can trigger sound and video cues from DMX with a DMX to USB. It can also send MIDI so could be used to trigger the lighting desk instead.

I think that you need the professional plus licence so I suppose it depends on your definition of cheep.

Full disclosure - I haven't actually used in under DMX control but I have used it under MIDI control.

A cheap solution is a USB keyboard and qlab/multiplay. I've run many many shows with left hand on the sound go button and right on the LX go button. It takes concentration and discipline, but is quite doable, and quicker than programming the cross referenced cues.

Or, just thinking off the top of my head, use multiplay and hack the USB keyboard decoder to fire the appropriate key with a relay contact and drive the relay from the velleman DMX relay mentioned earlier?

Jim

Archived