Lectern Mic and Clamp

pete10uk

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on new lectern microphones and the ways of mounting them.

We have 2 styles of lectern we use regularly, firstly is a large wooden lectern with a shelf and inbuilt shock mount XLR connectors, on this lectern we use Audio Technica Pro 49q mics plugged straight in to the shock mounts, we use these mics for no other reason than we have them in stock and we get a reasonable sound from them, the second style of lectern we use, which is now used about 90% of the time is an Aluminum Truss style Lectern, we have holes in the top corners and use AKG c747 mics on their goose necks which are bolted through the holes.

I would like to invest in a couple of better goose neck mics for speech applications, so firstly I'm asking for some recommendations on the mic's and secondly I haven't as yet figured a neat way to mount goose neck mic's to a truss lectern, I'm thinking that there must be a clamp which grips the XLR or something, if someone could guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

A couple of things which are important for the mic is firstly immunity to mobile phone interference and flexibility, I will primarily use these on a lectern but I may well want to use them clipped to a table or mounted facing a sofa.

Budget wise I don't have stupid amounts but around £200 per mic wouldn't be out of the way, although I'm always prepared to spend less.

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on new lectern microphones and the ways of mounting them.

We have 2 styles of lectern we use regularly, firstly is a large wooden lectern with a shelf and inbuilt shock mount XLR connectors, on this lectern we use Audio Technica Pro 49q mics plugged straight in to the shock mounts, we use these mics for no other reason than we have them in stock and we get a reasonable sound from them, the second style of lectern we use, which is now used about 90% of the time is an Aluminum Truss style Lectern, we have holes in the top corners and use AKG c747 mics on their goose necks which are bolted through the holes.

I would like to invest in a couple of better goose neck mics for speech applications, so firstly I'm asking for some recommendations on the mic's and secondly I haven't as yet figured a neat way to mount goose neck mic's to a truss lectern, I'm thinking that there must be a clamp which grips the XLR or something, if someone could guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

One thing that is important is immunity to mobile phone interference.

Budget wise I don't have stupid amounts but around £200 per mic wouldn't be out of the way, although I'm always prepared to spend less.

My choice at that budget is the Audio-Technica AT935 - not sensational, but a 100% improvement on the 747 IMHO

Hi All,

My choice at that budget is the Audio-Technica AT935 - not sensational, but a 100% improvement on the 747 IMHO

What would you class as sensational?

Hi All,

What would you class as sensational?

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/microphones/flexmic-series-2/fm360/ is probably the best I've ever used, and whilst I haven't used them as podium mics, both Schoeps and DPA have offerings which I am fairly confident would meet most people's definition of sensational...

I'm a big fan of the Shure MX412/C, sounds great and loads of gain before feedback.

You can get them for £220 from Thomann.

Most of my clients have these in their hire stock and I use them all the time on lecterns but I've also used them successfully as choir overheads etc.

They are available with the pre amps attached or the SE version with the preamp separated.

I generally attach them with simple K&M table clamps.

I'm a big fan of the Shure MX412/C, sounds great and loads of gain before feedback.

You can get them for £220 from Thomann.

Most of my clients have these in their hire stock and I use them all the time on lecterns but I've also used them successfully as choir overheads etc.

They are available with the pre amps attached or the SE version with the preamp separated.

I generally attach them with simple K&M table clamps.

Interestingly, in the light of conversations elsewhere on this forum, DV247.com are offering them for £193 inc VAT plus free shipping...

Maybe an off the wall suggestion, but I recently had a demo of the Beyer MPR210 http://www.polaraudio.co.uk/distributedproducts/beyerpages/beyer_datasheets/MPR210_DB_E.pdf

It was only a "trade show demo" - so mic on table and listen thru headphones - but it seemed to have a good pickup pattern for lectern use, and good rejection from behind. It can be bolted down, sits flush so not as likely to get damaged as a typical gooseneck mount, and unobtrusive.

Cost is around 350, so a bit higher than the original request - but you only need one for a lectern, not 2...

Might get one for a proper demo.

It can be bolted down, sits flush so not as likely to get damaged as a typical gooseneck mount, and unobtrusive.

Good for drunken presenters at awards shows, then.

The only problem I find with anything of that "form factor" is when people lay paper over the mic and block it, or bang things on the lectern. It would be interesting to see how well this model deals with vibration.

Maybe an off the wall suggestion, but I recently had a demo of the Beyer MPR210 http://www.polaraudi...MPR210_DB_E.pdf

It was only a "trade show demo" - so mic on table and listen thru headphones - but it seemed to have a good pickup pattern for lectern use, and good rejection from behind. It can be bolted down, sits flush so not as likely to get damaged as a typical gooseneck mount, and unobtrusive.

Cost is around 350, so a bit higher than the original request - but you only need one for a lectern, not 2...

Might get one for a proper demo.

What they look like they would be good for is a number of delegates sitting at a long table, always find that one a challenge to get them to relate to the mics in a useful fashion - you'd almost think I'd put cobras there rather than mic capsules, the way they invariably back off...

always find that one a challenge to get them to relate to the mics in a useful fashion - you'd almost think I'd put cobras there rather than mic capsules, the way they invariably back off...

There might be a market for a lectern mic with a "non threatening" design that people will be comfortable getting close to. Shape one like an ice cream or something?

Archived