Getting a fairly narrow beam from a GU10 birdie

Jamtastic3

Hi BR.

Bit random this one. Needing some 'narrowish' beams for some small props being filmed - their shadow will be on a white backdrop but I don't need the full beam spread shown on the white backdrop. I've only been given a load of Gu10 birdies though and the 35 degree is a bit wide. So would using a narrow slot cut out of metal and placed in the gel frame work well? Would it be more precise if I used a single diode LED? Obviously it's not going to be a sharp pencil beam, but something that can reduce the 35 degree spill from GU10's is what I'm looking for.

I saw the thread about narrow Gu10's but this is a more 'mechanical' way of dealing with the angle.

Any advice or tips would be great.

Cheers

You would need a Rectangular Snoot as a rectangular slot or mask will not have a sharp edge due to wide beam width light source. Especially if you are using a stubby birdie. The longer the depth of the rectangular snoot, the sharper the rectangle. You will be wasting a lot of your lamp ouput as heat, which is why it is ideal to have a range of lamp beamwidths with short and long nose birdies.

Ultra-long nose birdies: We extended some birdies using 2 inch pvc pipe recently to use instead of pinspots, and were pleasantly surprised by the results - a very narrow beam spread of less than 50cm at a throw of 5 or 6 metres, the idea being to suggest light coming into a room through bullet holes. I think the tubes were about 60 - 70cm long. The actual beam angle of the lamp is irrelevant here I believe.

A GU10 lamp is not ideal for this application as they have an inherently rather wide beam.

The beam angle can indeed be restricted by directing the light through a pipe or similar, but so doing wastes a large proportion of the already not very impressive light output.

LED replacements for halogen GU10 exist and some have a good output and a narrower beam and might be worth considering.

Do the lamps HAVE to be GU10 ? AR111 or PAR 30 lamps might be better. IIRC AR111 lamps are available in a 4 degree beam angle, 6 volt 35 watt.

Perhaps a Source Four Mini?

http://www.etcconnect.com/img/products/Mini_hand.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist the photo.)

You can fit a 19 degree field angle lens tube, it has shutters for beam control and will take an E-size gobo.

Depends how quickly you need them as they aren't shipping yet - but should be very soon.

Cute. Either that is one very nice looking lantern or you've employed someone with very very big hands for the photo-shoot.

What lamps do they take?

Cute. Either that is one very nice looking lantern or you've employed someone with very very big hands for the photo-shoot.

What lamps do they take?

MR16 - 50W

That source 4 Mini is fantastic! Glad there's something in the market for that kind of application. But yes, too late for me as I have these birdies. I'll try some of the techniques expressed. I'll also try and get an LED GU10 - depending on the output that might have a better beam angle.

As for the A111 lamps and all - I've only got these birdies that were given to me. A case of 'work with what you've got'.

Cheers again though guys.

Archived