LED uplighters

Rigger

I'd like some advice on the purchase of 6 basic DMX LED parcans or cyc lights for a local school I have got involved with. Each will be used at the base of a white leg 4' x 12'. I guess budget will be low as are all school budgets and this particular budget has to inclide a fair amount of other kit for a refurb of their performance space. I guess a twin yoke lamp may work out cheaper than having to buy base plates as well but please advise. I want to avoid commonly problematic brands/models if there are such things. I doubt quality of particular colour blends & ow will be much of a concern so please don't go telling me to spend a fortune.

I'd like some advice on the purchase of 6 basic DMX LED parcans or cyc lights for a local school I have got involved with. Each will be used at the base of a white leg 4' x 12'. I guess budget will be low as are all school budgets and this particular budget has to inclide a fair amount of other kit for a refurb of their performance space. I guess a twin yoke lamp may work out cheaper than having to buy base plates as well but please advise. I want to avoid commonly problematic brands/models if there are such things. I doubt quality of particular colour blends & ow will be much of a concern so please don't go telling me to spend a fortune.

Just bought 4 ADJ Mega Tri Par. Excellent uplighters at a reasonable price.

With my LEDs I have evoluted through the showtec 5mm 151 pars through the 10mm Eurolite to at the moment Lanta Tri Leds. Next it will be the quad ones I should think. I sold the showtecs a while ago as really not strong enough for stage. The Eurolites are ok for washing a flat, but I would recommend getting either tri or quad for your use if you can afford them. The flaw with the Eurolite is the three shadows thrown by the offset LEDS so you always have a slight RGB shadow on a white leg as you appear to want to use them for. Can I suggest you budget to get brackets to hang the units over the flats. Keep them out of the way of the little darlings!

Lanta Quad LED cans are extremely punchy units and would be ideal for an uplighting situation. Alternatively, if you decided to go down a LED batten style fixture, the Lanta Orion Link V2 LED bars are cheaper than the Quad LEDs (by some margin) and are again very punchy and bright. Lanta also do the Meteor LED battens.

The lanta quads are so punchy its amazing! great units.

I have used both Lanta Tri Mk 1 and Quads for musicals - brilliant for deep colour backlight (so uplighting of legs). The one snag is the fan in these units which are quiet but not silent and noticeable if you have a low rig (like my home theatre) or they are standing on the floor. For musicals it is less of an issue as there are lots of other fans around (moving lights, scrollers etc) but for plays might be more of an issue. By the way, has anyone tried fitting silent fans in these units?

Peter

Could the OP define "budget"? My budget for a cheap LED is £150-£250 per unit as anything else I've seen is not up to the standard I would like to use - but for others the top budget is £60 which will influence the advice you will get back?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried these from CPC ?

http://cpc.farnell.c...-led/dp/DP32642

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/DP32642-40.jpg

Interested to know how they compare with the ADJ ones listed above.

German friends: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_flood_tri_panel_7x3w_rgb.htm Same as the CPC price but thats inc vat! :)

The CPC ones are currently on special at 65+VAT - add a "03" to the product code - but the Thomann ones are still cheaper, and 3 year warranty. Pity they don't have an IEC outlet to chain the power.

Has anyone used either of these?

The CPC ones are currently on special at 65+VAT - add a "03" to the product code - but the Thomann ones are still cheaper, and 3 year warranty. Pity they don't have an IEC outlet to chain the power.

Has anyone used either of these?

I know a few people who use them (thats how I knew about the Thomann ones) and they are very bright for what they are. They all sing there praises.

I'm not sure which Thomann pars are being discussed, but I've got six of the Thomann Par56 Pros. When I bought them, I chose them in particular as they had the highest rated power per pound. They're a very convenient form factor and extremely bright. Recently had them providing plenty of toplight for an 8m x 4m stage, and providing all the light on a 4m x 3m stage from the front. Never used them for washing cyc, but overall extremely happy with them.

Archived