LED uplighters

Rigger

For stuff at that price point, Thomann's 3 year warranty is very tempting.

I did find one of the ebay sellers offering a 5 year warranty - but there are more strings on it than Pinocchio! 5 years warranty, but you're limited to 1 repair, maximum repair cost of 25% of purchase price, and warranty invalid if the supplier can't source spares!

The CPC ones are currently on special at 65+VAT - add a "03" to the product code - but the Thomann ones are still cheaper, and 3 year warranty. Pity they don't have an IEC outlet to chain the power.

Has anyone used either of these?

Im fairly sure the CPC ones do have IEC in/out. This was on the spec when ordered, however as I left CPC in Feb I cant check for you.

Well, I've just bought a few of the Thomann Mini Stage Pars 7x3W, 56 pounds each - http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_mini_stage_par_7x3w_tri_black.htm

First impressions - they seem impressively bright for the money. Will maybe do a side by side test later. Diecast body looks robust enough, bracket is perhaps a wee bit flimsy. Unfortunately there's not a huge clearance between the bracket and the back of the unit, so the bracket will not swing right round when standard XLRs are plugged in, which may make it slightly awkward to use them as up lighters. Probably OK if right-angled XLRs are used.

Spoke too soon - one of the units was faulty out-of-the-box - no blue. Let's see if Thomann can get me a replacement before next friday, when it needs to be on a stage...

Side-by-side, they're significantly brighter than my old Thomann & Pulse 153x5mm LED pars. Narrower beam angle as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived