Yet more fireworks accidents

Andrew Edwards

I have family living in Lewes, and certainly my four (male) cousins have over the years been heavily involved in the bonfire societies. That said, I have never been down there, either for Nov 5th or otherwiose, so I have no first hand experience or knowledge of the way things are. But they have always been very defensive about the proceedings.

As far as I can see, they are certainly well versed and practiced in doing the thing as safely as possible, and the ORGANISED side of the night does strike me as being just that - ORGANISED. But from what I can see, the injuries tend to be more as a result of unofficial firework-letters-off, which is something the police do frown on and WILL deal with if they catch instigators. Some info on the official web site here.

However what I do recall is that at least one of those cousins was injured in one of the 'rituals' on Bonfire Night - that of jumping over/through the fires. (Ithink it was the same cousin who broke his back falling from a tree whilst drunk...).

No matter how well any event like this is organised, drink and youthful spirits will always lead to risk of injury.

As a general point... why should fireworks incidents be treated as firearms incidents? Nothing in common.

Both go bang as far as I am concerned, a BB gun can be classed as a firearm and not damage, a firework could.

I wrote a post earlier and decided to scrap it but if anyone has seen Carabosses work it is spectacular, they got in some water in Edinburgh a few years ago for some flying embers in wind.

Obviously strong feelings arond the Lewes event, and I daresay I'd feel the same if it was something I'd grown up with or been involved in. But it's hard to imagine that if two people were blinded and three left with lifelong serious damage at say something like Edinburgh's Hogmanay that there wouldn't be a massive reaction and possibly abandonment of the event. I confess to being a little surprised by the degree to which those injuries have been ignored in this discussion.

I wrote a post earlier and decided to scrap it but if anyone has seen Carabosses work it is spectacular, they got in some water in Edinburgh a few years ago for some flying embers in wind.

I was at an amazing Carabosse event in Hull a couple of years ago, organised by the local council, 10,000 slightly drunk people weaving in and out of various flaming objects. No idea how they got it past the safety officer but it all went off without a hitch. Some of the works involving charcoal were really hot and sparky, I can see how there could be difficulties. But they're french, the french attitude to safety is much more focused on personal responsibility.

I was at an amazing Carabosse event in Hull a couple of years ago, organised by the local council, 10,000 slightly drunk people weaving in and out of various flaming objects. No idea how they got it past the safety officer but it all went off without a hitch. Some of the works involving charcoal were really hot and sparky, I can see how there could be difficulties. But they're french, the french attitude to safety is much more focused on personal responsibility.

They turned up in a truck I THINK WW2 that was at least 60% rust.

The brasiers were ok with us, after the 1st night the officiers had issues with some chimneys so rather than spread they were in bundles of 3, but that was all. They did stonehenge this year.

I doubt that the Lewes event is actually that dangerous, considering the numbers innvolved and that misuse of fireworks can be a problem in many town centers, without any organised event.

I think that the "if you dont like it, stay away" advice refers more to those who might be offended by the p0litical/r3ligous content, than to any (small)risk of injury.

I have organised fairly large firework displays for a public house, and both at the time and in retrospect believe that this was safe, despite no formal training in the matter.

Follow the instructions on the fireworks.

Keep people a safe distance away

Wear fire retardent clothing, gloves and a face shield

Light at arms length.

Carabosses work it is spectacular, they got in some water in Edinburgh a few years ago for some flying embers in wind.

Spectacular show well worth seeing.

If only they`d had water rather than CO2 extinguishers to hand with the burning embers.

Archived