Yeah! Sure you are!

kerry davies

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video has just made my day!! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

On a serious note, the Lib Dems have lost my support after this whole thing, and they will have to go a lot further than some cheesy speech written by a PR man to get me back on side http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

You mean you want people who didn't have to pay tuition fees to pay for the next intake's education from their taxes? Personally - with no kids left to pay for, I think students SHOULD pay for their tuition - he he!

Surely that was the idea of the free system? You don't pay while at Uni, but when your decent education gets you a secure, high paying job, you pay through taxes back into the education system?

I guess it all went a bit tits up really, didn't it?

You mean you want people who didn't have to pay tuition fees to pay for the next intake's education from their taxes? Personally - with no kids left to pay for, I think students SHOULD pay for their tuition - he he!

And as a student under the "old" system, I totally agree with you Paul ;)

I have no problem with the current system. As some man on Daybreak explained this morning, who actually ever pays off their student loan? He calculated that only graduates starting on about £38000 immediately after graduating would ever pay it off in full. It's paid back in proportion to how much you earn and isn't paid back at all until you're comfortably earning, so for all intents and purposes it's another form of income tax. I fully agree with him when he says that labelling it a loan and worrying about massive debt is misleading and inappropriate, because it's not really like a loan.

People should get used to the idea that nothing in life is for free. In the current economic climate, why should it be a priority to subsidise those who want to go on to higher education? I'd hazard a guess that for most people who are academic enough to pass, the prospect of higher income over the course of their life would make going to university a profitable decision and offset the cost and then some over the course of their lifetime. Maybe this will dissuade a lot of people from going to university and taking worthless courses just because it's the 'done thing' - and might actually be beneficial?

I have no problem with the current system. As some man on Daybreak explained this morning, who actually ever pays off their student loan? He calculated that only graduates starting on about £38000 immediately after graduating would ever pay it off in full. It's paid back in proportion to how much you earn and isn't paid back at all until you're comfortably earning, so for all intents and purposes it's another form of income tax. I fully agree with him when he says that labelling it a loan and worrying about massive debt is misleading and inappropriate, because it's not really like a loan.

I didnt go to uni for that reason .. not sure if it is the right thing to have done but you never know

My issue with the current system is that once you hit £Xpy you break the seal and have to pay back from then on, even if you become unemployed (is my understanding).

I have no problem with the current system.

Me neither. My problem is with Clegg promising not to do raise student fees, and then doing just that. I see the fees as another tax when you're earning, and not a massive problem to me - I just don't like Clegg acting like a spineless prat (If that breaks the 'no politics' rule then I apologise).

My issue with the current system is that once you hit £Xpy you break the seal and have to pay back from then on, even if you become unemployed (is my understanding).

Incorrect (AFAIK) - repayment is 9% of income above a certain threshold (about £16000 currently), and is taken through PAYE (unless you're self-employed). I'm fairly certain that if your income dips below the threshold again, repayments cease.

To clarify, on the old new system that I was on, payments start once you exceed 15k and continue even if you drop below (but as a % of income so you wouldn't pay if you were not earning).

On the new new system payments are only taken from salaries over 21k (still as a % based PAYE deduction).

In any case, with the kind of degrees people have been studying for of late, and the kind of careers they then go into, I see no justification for tax payers funding the students.

Besides, having spent a lot of time at Oxford (not as a student, but still) and having been a student at a mediocre ex-poly, I think there is every justification for better ones charging more than worse ones.

The Lib Dems formulated their policies after years of being in opposition and never expecting to govern The politics of Government are different to those of opposition and very rarely do parties in Government do what they said they would in opposition. The Lib Dems problem at the next election will be that a lot of people vote for them as a protest vote not expecting them to govern so they might well be annhialated for doing the same as the other parties. Glad I'm not in politics ...

The Lib Dems really lost any of my support after this. When the promises were made, it was a sort of standing for young people and in some ways they were supporting and getting a vote from the generation that other parties had some what forgotten about.

In the end, its just like the real world, alot of people will agree with who is important and popular just be friends with those who are important and popular.

Although this year is the first I can legally vote, I can assure you it will take alot to get me to vote for them again.

Archived