BBC Online Auction

Bobbsy

As most of you probably know, the BBC is closing down Bush House and moving the World Service to Broadcast House.

It turns out they're selling a lot of the Bush House gear via an online auction. I've only had a quick look but there's a bunch of stuff that I'd love to bid on if I was still in the UK.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, listings HERE.

It's interesting that the items that are making the most so far are the framed pictures and paintings, rather than the technical equipment. People are bidding more than they would on ebay - with 15.5% buyers premium and 20% VAT on top, plus the journey to London to collect, some people are going to be paying quite a bit. (I'm not immune - I bid on a BBC MD player, won it and then discovered it was BBC in Glasgow - and only got it thanks to Bruce!)

The older kit - speakers etc are going to be sought after - but quite a lot is obsolete. Loads of DAT machines, which fetch next to nothing now - and plenty of Tascam cassette recorders. It does look like the World Service didn't exactly run on state of the art kit, when the older stuff still worked.

However - if you could find a market for the old stuff, you might get some bargains.

EDIT

Looks like the stuff they've still been using comes in sale number 2

...with 15.5% buyers premium and 20% VAT on top, plus the journey to London to collect...

So that's another 40% on top of the sale price. And be warned if you win - collection times for auctions like these are very much office hours only and by appointment. So it's a day off work to collect. Not as cheap as it looks is it?

To make this one worse - there is no parking available, so you also need to factor in an extra person to go away, find somewhere to wait while you get your kit to the roadway. Sometimes the items are in small piles, but quite frequently the kit, if 19" rack mounted is still where it lived, with an asset number on it, so you need to remove it, and then take it out - which means another person to stay with your items you've got as far as the exit. If you buy three items, each on separate floors, it will not be a quick job. You have fuel and congestion charge to factor in. If you end up with a pot of kit, it can work - but what if you bid on 30 items and end up with an SM58 for £60+15.5%+20% - scary!

Archived