Lighting Beam Divergenge

Ekij

In Part 2 of Section 6.01 of The article "Stage Lighting Design" by Bill Williams (referred to in the FAQ section of The Blue Room) at

http://www.mts.net/~william5/sld/sld-600.htm

suggests that a 25 degree light will product a pool 12 feet in diameter at a distance of 50 feet.

By my calculation it should be 50*2*tan(25/2) or 100*tan(12.5) = 22.2 feet.

Has Bill made an error in this article or have I totally lost the plot?

In Part 2 of Section 6.01 of The article "Stage Lighting Design" by Bill Williams (referred to in the FAQ section of The Blue Room) at

suggests that a 25 degree light will product a pool 12 feet in diameter at a distance of 50 feet.

I had that problem too. I used tan to figure out the spread of a strand 5 degree, it not accurate. the beam spread is not usually exact. for any degree take tan([half the beam spread]) and set it equal to half of the pool over the distance. for a 25 degree you should have. tan(25/2)=(x/50) then solve for x and multiply by 2. so at 50ft a 5 degree instrument would produce a pool of light around a little over 4ft.

I could be wrong.

I had that problem too. I used tan to figure out the spread of a strand 5 degree, it not accurate. the beam spread is not usually exact. for any degree take tan([half the beam spread]) and set it equal to half of the pool over the distance. for a 25 degree you should have. tan(25/2)=(x/50) then solve for x and multiply by 2. so at 50ft a 5 degree instrument would produce a pool of light around a little over 4ft.

I could be wrong.

or cheat and use wysiwyg or ld assistant?

Guest lightnix

Mornin' Paul ;)

Ah yes, the old methods are the best. Being cr :P p at maths myself, I always found it quicker to use a protractor to draw out the angle on a piece of paper and then measure off the relevant distance / beam size with a scale ruler.

Tangents ? :rolleyes:

Archived