Boots

haymere

I'm a big fan of "Zamberlan" laces. Not the cheapest in the world, but they survive well enough. I usually get 4/5 months out of a set in my usual daily boots, which have hooks for the top 2/3 fastenings. They also seem to cope with scree & general rocky stuff when I venture outdoors, which I have found kills cheaper laces.

The only "problem" I have found is since they're a round lace they don't hold a knot quite as well as a flat one, but that's easilly solved by putting a second turn round the lop before tucking it, if that makes sense!

Erm, surely if you cannot do your laces up the morning after, should you be going to work in the first place?

I think you've rather missed the point Jon.

It is in the early morning rush when one tends to tie ones laces quickly and very tightly.

And that is always when they snap.

I was about to recomend the Cat Cordell but I have just discovered that they've been discontinued... I also have an old pair of random cats that I've had for 10 years and they are still going strong. The cordell isn't quite as durable but it's a very comfy boot http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/cordell-gore-safety-boots-cat709207-longer-available-p-91147.html

• 2 months later...

As has been suggested, it is wise to visit a shop to try on several pairs of boots before deciding (although nowadays one can quite easily exchange ill-fitting boots from online stores). Does anyone know a good PPE shop with a range of boots in the South West London area?

Also does anyone have any specific suggestions for lightweight boots with a protected sole?

• 5 months later...
I'd recommend the AirSafe ones which are plastic rather than steel toecap, nice and light, will go through airport & security scanners without having to take them off (If they will let you, that is) and they don't set off my metal detector! I find them fine for driving as well.

So just going to through it out there (watch the faces as people read this) - I have a pair of Black Timberland Split Rocks. I have had them 10months and they still look like new, even after wearing them 10hours a day 5/7days a week. They are so comfortable and also great for driving

Archived