Boots

haymere

I also have the Dewalt ones after having Karimore ones before. The Dewalts are very nice and I've happily spent all day in them. A colleague of mine wears his all day and happily drives in them.

+1 I have a pair and they are VERY comfortable.

The best ones are the ones that fit your feet best. Get yourself to a place that sells lots of different types and try several on if at all possible. (Maybe I'm fortunate living near PSF)

Having damaged one of my feet and made it worse wearing two different pairs of steelies I am pretty stuck with footwear, don't end up like me!

If the OP was able to reconsider a steel shanked boot then I would suggest a look at Centek safety boots, with steel toe cap and shank. I have a pair in the dealer boot version.

I do wear then all day and dust the insides regularly with Scholl (or similar cheaper) anti fungal powder. I have had them for two years and they still smell of shoe leather with nary a whiff of sweaty feet. I would suggest getting a size up from your usual to allow for the foot spreading out during the day and to allow for thicker socks in the winter.

I have no problem wearing them whilst driving, whether it be a car or Transit type van....you just have to make allowances for the thicker soles of course.

Being boots they don't, IIRC, attract vat (cf shoes) and are about £45. The only drawback with dealer boot versions is that they are elastic sided which precludes doing the Gene Kelly thing.

To add to the points above, I would urge that anyone who finds boots or shoes that are affordable and comfortable should consider buying at least one spare pair.

If you dont, they will cease making them, or improve the design to one that you find less satisfactory.

(only if you are aged 20 or over, as I think feet grow a bit, after growth in general is finished)

...unlike some boots you don't end up skating on wet surfaces...

A very valid point.

I've never really found a reliable way to check how much grip boots, or even shoes, have before purchase. Certainly looking at the tread pattern doesn't help.

Just to add something to this, aside from the boot you choose it's also very important to choose a good insole.

Many great boots / shoes come with very basic insoles that will soon wear thin and make walking more uncomfortable especially on hard surfaces like concrete, as found in warehouses, arenas... etc!

I like Superfeet insoles. They are about £35 (which yes is a lot if you just spent £75 on the boots) but I've found such a difference since using them. I have high arches and they make a special insole (Green) just for people with high arches, after a day on my feet they're a lot more comfortable now.

If you go to Sweatshop (running shop) and say you want to buy insoles they will put you on one of their special machines which judge the way you run and walk, and they will choose you the right insoles for your feet

I would suggest to the OP that the correct safety boots/trainers, suitable for the work undertaken, is more important than comfort when driving.

Is it not possible to keep a pair of trainers in the car that you change into for driving?

After trying many makes am currently wearing a pair of Amblers.

Pretty much had them on every day for the last six months, and they are holding up well.

The only small problem is that like so many boots, the last two tie ups are hooks not eyelets, so I go through about a pair of laces a month.

In fact, there's a good question.

Does anybody know of any really tough bootlaces that can cope with the 8.00 am hamfisted hungover lace up ?

Archived