Live Sound Mixer Opinions

pete10uk

Morning all.

I have been after a new analogue mixer for a while now, I'm starting to do more and more low end band stuff and I'am currently at my channel limit and have a band with a larger requirement booked in, so now's the time.

I have been using a A&H PA12 which has done me proud for what I have needed, half of me thinks just to go for a larger version of the same desk.

The budget is around 700-800 Trade and I've been looking at the Yamaha MG24/14FX, looks a nice desk and the added groups, talk back and 2 FX is swaying me away from the larger A&H PA desk, I also like the connections on the rear of the unit and not on top.

I know the budget isn't huge and I certainly want to go for a respected brand, what are the opinions out there, I would be particularly interested in owners of both or people who have made the same decision.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

The Yamaha is a perectly workable desk, and provides good features for the money.

However, if I had your budget, I would still prefer to mix on an Allen & Heath MixWiz 16-2. The eq is far more flexible, and that alone would mean more to me than the groups and other features. It wouldn't be hard to rack the MixWiz and a Behringer RX1602 in the same case to give additional line inputs.

I've never been quite satisfied with the onboard FX of the MG series. How about the A & H Mixwizard series. The 16:2 gives you the same number of mic inputs, second hand is within budget.

The Mix wizard 16:2 is within budget as my budget is trade, meaning without vat and I can probably get it discounted.

Apart from not actually liking the name mix wizard (it sounds a bit diy disco) I had discounted it, as from a quick look at the images it doesn't seem like there is easy access to groups, the A&H web site claims "Dedicated mono output fader with innovative mode for control of aux fed subs".

In addition to the A&H PA 12 I have a Soundcraft Spirit Folio SX with 12 mic inputs but don't really use it as the groups are on pots and lack of onboard FX for a bit of vocal reverb is annoying. That said I have used this when needed and don't mind using it but place this at the same sort of level as the mix wizard.

As mentioned I'm only starting out down the route of band work, I've probably only engineered 20 or so evenings but I'm learning fast, started using gates and compressors a couple of months ago with a great improvement, I think the use of groups will also help me out with the mix.

I think if I were to stick with A&H the level I would look at would be the GL2400 but that is a bit over budget. I've also looked at the Mackie Onix 24.4 as a good friend really likes mackie but for some reason I'm not that sure.

Any further thoughts or directions would be appreciated.

The MixWiz 16-2 doesn't have groups. Not too much a problem for 16 channels I feel...

The overall look, feel and build quality of this desk is (IMO) better than the Yamaha, and you are buying a smaller version of their good quality GL range, rather than a large version of a more MI based range. It really does feel like a "proper" desk!

If more channels and groups are important, then consider the Allen & Heath GL2400 or even the Soundcraft LX7ii

If you've got your heart set against the mixwiz, one group I work with has just bought an allen and heath ZED 420. It doesn't have any effects built in, but by all accounts it sounds much better than the yamaha mg206c that they replaced with it, is about £800 inc vat and may be well worth a look.

It's a pity you aren't interested in digital, as something like an 01v96 can be had for that kind of money nowadays, and you would get a fantastic amount of desk for your money!

M

If you've got your heart set against the mixwiz, one group I work with has just bought an allen and heath ZED 420. It doesn't have any effects built in, but by all accounts it sounds much better than the yamaha mg206c that they replaced with it, is about £800 inc vat and may be well worth a look.

It's a pity you aren't interested in digital, as something like an 01v96 can be had for that kind of money nowadays, and you would get a fantastic amount of desk for your money!

M

Tried an o1v original and digital isn't for me my brain isn't wired that way or I don't use it enough, as it seems that I can never remember where things are.

The Zed420 looks interesting and is within budget, shame about the FX.

Cheers

The O1V96 isn't the most intuative desk and has a steep learning curve it you've never gone digital, but with all the comps and gates on board ate pete10uk said you get loads of desk for your money, also running at 96khz it sounds better than many other digital desks. Once I got into digital I haven't looked back. It's so much easier than loads of patching of comps gates, eq etc, especially if you are the only op for the sound, it makes setup much quicker.

Oops... I've gone and opened a can of worms here! Lets not get too sidetracked with digital stuff tho as the OP did say he has evaluated digital and come to the conclusion that the best solution for him is analogue. Sorry for taking things off topic Pete! :)

I've got a Soundcraft LX7 and also a Peavey 32FX which are very similar - if it helps, I use these to get just a few mics, but a lot of sound modules and synths into by Cubase system - preset faders almost. The Peavey FX are actually quite nice, so I don't use the Soundcraft any longer - both sound really nice, and not too expensive.

The Yamaha MG desks are quite usable and built toughly for the rigours of gigging band work. My son's high school bought one years ago (he's now 29) and it's still working despite the abuse that only successive years of students can give. The sound isn't as nice as the A&H, the biggest drawback for me being the channel EQ which isn't up to much. If the Mixwizard suits in terms of facilities, then, for me, it's the better choice especially in terms of sound quality.

I'm personally anti Mackie--never liked the sound and have had many issues with reliability.

The aforementioned LX7 is a great favourite of mine--but now discontinued and no onboard effects if you really want them. The six auxes are useful for band work though--they'll always want more monitoring! Maybe a second hand LX7 and a second hand TC effects box?

You could get a good used A H GL2400 . I love ours well build, very servicable, and every feature you could ever need. It is a heavy desk though if in a full flightb case.

From memory, the LX7 has 4 groups but are configured as 2 stereos, therefore making them as useful as a chocolate teapot! You may as well not have them. It has a maximum of 4 prefade auxes (If my memory serves me correctly) and 2 post fades (for FX).

Just my 2p worth

Archived