Live Sound Mixer Opinions

pete10uk

I believe the LX7ii is still available?

Yup, as far as I know. I've never tried the Mk ii version (which shows how long it's been since I used one) but I assume it still has all the strengths of the original.

thoughts from the low end...I work with club and bar bands almost exclusively and you would be surprised how many channels byou can end up needing sometimes - on the other hand things tend to get cramped most of the time - I usely end up using a peavey rq2318 with outboard fx - a little noisy but bomb proof and if one day someone pours a pint over it I will cry but not too much..cost me around a hundred second hand. my points are:

1. peavey desk are ok though I wouldnt say no to an A&H GL or a soundcraft LX7

2. don't dismiss using outboard, you may get a more robust or older desk that you can pair with a mutiverb and get a better sound than the onboard sounds of some of the cheaper desks.

3. don't under estimate the need for channels in small gigs - on a quite night with a 5 piece I can end up short of mono channels on my present desk (14 mono and 2 stereo) - consider 24 channel desks.

4. the only complaint I have ever heard about a 16 channel mixwiz is the need for something bigger - a great piece of kit in a compact space.

5. I love the extra space my hands and fingers get with the peavey - another 6" in length it stacks on top of a floor mount rack comfortably. consider how comfy you want to be while you are working the desk all night. when I sit at the rq2318 I feel happy checking into the office for the evening.

Archived