What is the finest compact PA system (cost aside).

Warwick79

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're all living a life of luxury.

Turbosound TFL760H - 60kg. (12+6+1)

No... you are!

Meyer MSL4 - 81kg, 12" + 2"

Damn, I was about to point out the weight of the EV Deltamax boxes.

A flightcased pair is close to 100kg!

Seems to me like you already have an amazing system. I would focus on getting a good high quality processor maybe somthing from BSS. I am sure the Martin Audio will produce the sound you want. I admit I am a big Martin Audio fan and I have worked with allot of other system. Nexo are also nice but you are limited by having to use there processors. We had a issue where we wanted to put various Nexo cabnets on to a BSS soundweb and they would not give us the information we needed leaving us with the option of guessing or buying there processors. We brought there's in the end.

Pete

P.S. I admit I didn't read all the above replies as there was so much I hope mine doesn't conflict in anyway.

All good points/suggestions.

Tony has pretty much covered my reasoning behind 2 x D12's to run the E series D&B system. I understand that the sound is enhanced when using two amplifiers as opposed to just the one in passive stereo mode (but I'm still to have a listen for myself).... but also, the D12 offers a mix sub/top mode (which the D6 doesn't) and this allows both channels on one amplifier to be merged, meaning you only have to use one 4 core cable into one channel to run one complete side. This appeals!

I had looked at Fohhn, but it is powered speakers... albeit only one top, or sub, aside needs to be powered.

Just to clarify a couple of points.. (Fohhn dealer hat on!)

Fohhn systems (Mainly the Xperience range which would seem to be under discussion here) are produced in both passive and active (powered) versions. The thinking behind the Xperience range was to offer users a highly configurable system where you can mix and match components to suit your requirements. Yes, there are powered boxes, both subs and tops, but you can do all passive (with or without crossover in the subs) and either run them with their own amps with DSP (actually powersoft under the hood) or with any brand of amp that you prefer with an electronic crossover - here again either using the Fohhn one or a third party one. For our larger rigs we actually use your preferred Lab Gruppen FP amps with a Fohhn processor.

Comparing to Nexo, they do have a different sound to the PS range - we have run A/B demos of them a few times. Personally for me, the Fohhn sound had more definition, particularly so from the sub - the Nexo being a little muddy by comparison.

Comparing to D&B, the Fohhn systems tend to sound warmer while still maintaining a detailed reproduction of the sound.

Hope that helps a little.

Steve

Has anyone had real experience in a group/band scenario with both my current system... Martin Audio F12's and S15 subs, and the D&B system I'm looking at E12/EX15sub in active mode? I'd be really interested to know your thoughts and comparisons?

The SPL's on the D&B are higher (esp on the tops) but are measured differently, and I don't properly understand this. Does the D&B offer a bit more power/quality/headroom? I'm not needing massively more, but didn't want to lose anything.

Here are the spl figures

Martin Audio F12 = 120 continuos to 126 peak

S15 = 123 continuous to 129 peak

D&B (using D12 amplifiers) E12 = Max SPL 134

EX15sub = Max SPL 130.

Martin Audio use band limited pink noise to measure these figures, and D&B use pink noise with crest factor 4. Can anyone please explain the difference in simple terms and, with the above figures in mind, also explain how the two systems should compare? Which is likely to have the most volume/power/headroom etc?

Really appreciate any help.

Not quite a fair comparison, but I'm currently running a venue with Martin Blackline PA running off MC2 amps, and whilst it's fine I'd swap it for d&b at the drop of a hat. I first used the E12/E15 combination for a charity dinner in a large hotel conference suite (600 people at cabaret style tables and seating). The brief from the client had been that they wanted something visually unobtrusive, as the music spots were all going to be very much acoustic in feel, and they were keen to keep the volume down. Well, that was the plan, and indeed for as long as it lasted they performed outstandingly. What hadn't been specced was the subsequent jam session when just about anyone in the audience with musical aspirations got up on stage, hauing out guitars and amps for days, and giving it full laldy. My initial stress that this wasn't planned for turned to amazement as the system coped without either breaking sweat or causing me to - just filled the room effortlessly, and had loads of headroom to lift the vocals even over the cacophony that was the backline collection from hell...

Other things to consider: if going for d&b plus a digital desk (and I'd certainly recommend it, for all sorts of reasons) then get one with an AES digital output (LS9 does this natively) and run the D12s this way, you will notice the difference in sound quality. Other selling point for me is d&b's five year guarantee: they are so confident of the modelling of the speakers in the DSP that they offer a 5-year guarantee. If it fails within that time, they'll simply exchange it (unless they have grounds to suspect mighy abuse). Let go of your anti-plastic doubts, d&b held off until they were certain that using plastic was an advantage for the performance of the speaker, not just a weight-saving or manufacturing issue. And their product support is second to none.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

First of all thanks to everybody for all the info I have been reading here.

I come from Timisoara, Romania and I play in local band here.

Last year I had chance of hearing a Fohhn Xperience IV and it captured my attention very much.

We are now in the process of renewing our PA (currently running a set JBL MRX tops and subs with Crown XTI4000 powering them).

We manage to get a very good quota from a Fohhn dealer in Germany but are still considering other options.

Here in the area the RCF TT+, and the Dynacord Powermax systems are really well appreciated, a little bit cheaper and also easier to get them.

How would you rate the Fohhn Xperience IV vs RCF TT+ 22A + RCF TTS 18A or Dynacord Powermax 5.

The budget can stretch up to around 10.000 Euros.

Thanks again,

Looking forward for your answers :)

• 2 months later...

at two places in the original author's posts he talks about 'quality of life criteria' ...a pa that is easier to carry and set up, a digital desk if he can learn to use it while on stage.

..it does all point to staff rather than gear. lots of high qulity bands invest in a crew and/or own engineer specifically so they can have a better quality of life (not get stressed over mixes and not get stretched arms from carrying gear). the money certainly seems to be there for that.

I also know of one events/pa company that work on this high quality/function work and split the gigs with another company so that one works north of Birmingham and the other works south of Birmingham. it would be possible to do the same with or without PA and keeping labour costs reasonable.

none of this addresses the question actually asked - but all of this occured to me while reading the above posts.

Archived