What is the finest compact PA system (cost aside).

Warwick79

When I enquired at a Fohhn dealer they made a point of advising that I should only really consider their powered option. Apparently this is their forte! Surprisingly their passive speakers are only about 1kg lighter. Bearing in mind I don't want a powered speaker, the D&B speaker weights are more attractive to me.

Fohhn is definitely worth a look for anybody interested in high quality lightweight powered speakers!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I know you've mentioned that your not after powered speakers, but you've mentioned that your up for something maybe a bit more portable. We had a demo of the K Array systems. They look different but definitely worth hearing and seeing before you discount the units. Maybe something like the KR200 system that we have considered over D&B alternative systems. They have real punch and balls and a great clarity. Not being full of great descriptive words I can't tell you they sounded x or y, but that they really impressed us to seriously consider purchasing a system or two.

With the KR 200 system the mid high units pack up into a case the length of a mic stand bag, so quick and easy to transport.

I can't vouch for real life applications, but in our test in the warehouse throwing to the back at about 18m was still giving plenty of leve and quality. Have a listen and decide for yourself!

For my money, I would go for L'Acoustics 12XTs, SB18s, an LA4 and a Digico SD11. We currently have L'Acoustics, D&B and EAW in hire stock and I've had plenty of hands on time with Nexo products and to my ears the L'Acoustics boxes win hands down every time.

For a system you can fit in a large estate car, I don't think you'll be able to find better quality at any price.

Adam

For my money, I would go for L'Acoustics 12XTs, SB18s, an LA4 and a Digico SD11. We currently have L'Acoustics, D&B and EAW in hire stock and I've had plenty of hands on time with Nexo products and to my ears the L'Acoustics boxes win hands down every time.

For a system you can fit in a large estate car, I don't think you'll be able to find better quality at any price.

Adam

Excellent choice, a bit cheaper than the d&b kit and you can have one LA8 quad amp as well. The SB18 Sub plays louder and a bit lower too.

I love the SD11 but the new Yamaha CL1 may be worth a look too.

L'Acoustics was the very first system I looked at because the consensus of opinion was that this is the finest sounding system. Unfortunately the size and weight of the XT12 and SB18 ruled L'Acoustics out. They are twice the weight of the D&B E series.... and considerably heavier than many other options I've considered. The significant difference in weight is a compromise too far for me.

On another note, and perhaps more importantly, I hope this thread is proving useful to others. I'm concerned that it's starting to appear like 'it's all about me'. All the suggestions are superb, and I hope everyone can benefit from this thread.

So, if it's solely a purchase from a sound point of view, then perhaps L'Acoustics should be towards the top of people's lists.

Just had a look at L'acoustics site and the weights don't seem to add up.

The 8XT weighs 11kg while the 12XT weighs 29kg but the 115XT weighs 28.5kg????

Is there something in this or could it be a mistake?

The 8XT's are loads lighter we have both 8's and 12's in our stock, 12's are really heavy for their size so I do believe those weights. I cannot comment on the 115xt though.

They do sound fantastic but having used the 12XT's on my own, I wouldn't fancy lugging them around for every gig.

James

Just had a look at L'acoustics site and the weights don't seem to add up.

The 8XT weighs 11kg while the 12XT weighs 29kg but the 115XT weighs 28.5kg????

Is there something in this or could it be a mistake?

I also questioned these figures David, but I understand them to be correct.

29kg is extremely heavy for a 12 inch speaker.

Archived