What is the finest compact PA system (cost aside).

Warwick79

I have nexo ps10 and subs powered from lab grupen fp3400

I demoed the new ps10 r2 system with the nexo quad amp ( rebadged yamaha) and conclusion was, the smaller quad nexo amp is very underpowered for the job, I thought the labs sounded better

I also have d&b (q7/qsub) with d12 and d6 amps

I like really like both systems, but they do sound different, which is something you only really notice when you get them in the same room

So I agree with the try to demo them together

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So from a sound point of view, do the majority of you feel the Nexo PS10/LS600 has the edge?

This is where it comes down to preference; Nexo tends to be one of those love or hate type sounds; it definitely has a "flavour".

I've not heard the little L'Acoustics stuff, but if you're budget is up to it, I'd think it would be a "must listen" to system.

I don't know if they have a box of the size that would suit you, but a system I can't find a vice with is the EV X-Array range. I've heard them do everything from theatre to metal, and they just seem to deliver flawlessly, from a whisper to a roar. The X-Array isn't a line array despite its name, and it doesn't sound at all like the typical small EV fare.

It may not be relevant as I,ve not got the d&b E series. But I think the q series has a gap around low mid / bass like most small line arrays, it sounds good but if you compare it to a traditional point source you realise something was missing even if you didnt miss it.

The ps10 sounds good full range without the sub, the q7 doesnt withoutbthe qsub ( its not meant to)

I don't know if they have a box of the size that would suit you, but a system I can't find a vice with is the EV X-Array range. I've heard them do everything from theatre to metal, and they just seem to deliver flawlessly, from a whisper to a roar. The X-Array isn't a line array despite its name, and it doesn't sound at all like the typical small EV fare.

The best sounding system I've ever used was an X-Array, although if I remember rightly I'm sure the boxes wouldn't fill the normal definition of 'portable'. Well, everything's portable.....

http://www.localnewsglasgow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sct_BAELoadout01.jpg

.... but you know what I mean. They're quite chunky and heavy boxes.

I gotta recommend the coda system.

I have one installed here with 6 x LA8s a side, 4 x scp subs under the stage, 4x G515-96 as back and centre fills and 4 x k4's as apron fills.

The rack is small and neat and delivers an Insane amount of power whilst remaining rich and crystal... A very tidy package.

Drop me a line if you ever want to come and hear it.

I might be missing something here.. but isn't two D12s a little overkill for 4 E series boxes? Surely even a single D6 amp could run all 4 of these boxes in mono mode?

Indeed it can, or in stereo, run passive.

The D12 squeezes an extra 3dB out of the boxes. Doing a gig on one amplifier with no spare is always chancing it, using two D12s with the E configuration discussed means the OP can run the system active and if one D12 were to fail, the option of running passive is there.

Although D12s are very reliable, when you are restricted to proprietory amplification the case for carrying a spare is even greater, as the chances of finding a D12 quickly in an emergency is a lot smaller than finding any old power amp to drive any old PA system.

I'm going to add another thing to the mix, I reckon the chances of finding a D12 in a hurry in Scotland are pretty high compared to other regions within the UK, as most folks up here seem to carry D&B (especially in the central belt). Another thing to consider is what local hire companies are carrying - buy local, buy well, and good support (and ability to easily expand your system) tends to come as part of the package.

Otherwise, as a long term user of Q I like the Q7/QSub D12 combo. It's worked brilliantly for me over the years! Another brand to try and get a listen to is possibly Fohhn. I notice the OPs location is Lancashire, if you fancy a trip to the lakes I know Zeffirellis in Ambleside has one of their systems (used mainly for jazz). It's rather nice, and is a brand worth considering.

Fohhn make some very nice boxes, but the OPs request that he stays unpowered for the speakers sort of puts their nicer sounding compact stuff out of the equation. It's a shame they don't do the XT33 and XSUB30 system with an external Processed amp.

Josh

Although Fohnn is nice, you could easily have the same sound from a Nexo system. There's something about Fohnn that really bugs me. They market it to be an exceptional sounding system (and at a price) and you could achive the same with a few different systems on the market.

Mr_towers makes a very good point about reserching what the local hire companies use. Very usful! It's likely they will stock spare parts and know their way around the boxes.

All good points/suggestions.

Tony has pretty much covered my reasoning behind 2 x D12's to run the E series D&B system. I understand that the sound is enhanced when using two amplifiers as opposed to just the one in passive stereo mode (but I'm still to have a listen for myself).... but also, the D12 offers a mix sub/top mode (which the D6 doesn't) and this allows both channels on one amplifier to be merged, meaning you only have to use one 4 core cable into one channel to run one complete side. This appeals!

I had looked at Fohhn, but it is powered speakers... albeit only one top, or sub, aside needs to be powered.

Archived