TomG

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Option?

• Option 1 - Full 12.2m PASMA Tower
    • Option 2 - Reduced Height PASMA Tower + Large Deck Area
    • Option 3 - MEWP within Restrictions
    • Option 4 - Ground Support Structure
    • Other - Post answer below

We have been asked to design and rig an event in the summer and currently have an access problem to solve before we can come up with a rig which works for all involved parties. The event is a 2 day graduation showcase, with a fashion show set up on day one and simple stage Broadcasting set-up on day two. Below are some of the specifications of the space and some of our current solutions to the problems posed:

The Space

• Level 4 - The Big Space
  • The North Wall is 5m + 7.5m + 5m with two 15 degree corners
  • The South Wall is 5m + 15m + 5m with two 15 degree corners
  • The East and West Walls are 14m
  • The Atrium Height is approx. 15m from the floor.
  • The Beam underside is approx. 14.2m from the floor.
  • The Beam are currently awaiting Load Testing, and are currently rated at 1Ton until May under there "new-build" testing.
  • The Floor is rated at 450KG/SqM and is Computer Flooring.
  • There are floors located on the East and West walls staggered up the atrium. Level 4 - 9
  • There is a similar Larger Ground Floor Atrium located on the North side of the building. Level 0 - 5.
  • Building is fully open plan

Access to the Space

Access to the Space is limited and is via:

• 5 Flights of Stairs with 3m Max Turn Radius
  • 3 Lifts, the Largest of which is rated at 1600KG capacity and is 1.2m(W) by 2.5m(L) by 2.2m(H).

Possible Rig Points

There will be between 6 - 9 rig points shared over the 3 beams.

Current Solution Ideas

1. PASMA Tower to 12.2m Platform Height (14.2m Working Height) with hardboard under each castor to spread the floor load.
  2. Steel Deck or Similar over a large area then a Reduced Height PASMA Tower
  3. MEWP 1a or 3a up to a working height of 14.2m whilst still conforming to the lift limitations.
  4. Ground supported truss structure with now flown elements. Ground support strategically placed to keep with in the 450KG/SqM floor rating.

Option 1 and 3 are our current best choices with option 1 being the cheapest but most labour and time intensive.

Option 4 is a last resort due to the reduced sight lines created by a reduced trim/grid height and the ground supports. A fully flown system allows for the rig to be be above floor 5, 6 , 7 and 8 and floating between 8 and 9, greatly improving the numbers that can watch the two day's from the balconies and level 4.

Any comments or ideas are welcome.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will struggle to get a scissor lift that puts down less than 450kg/sqm. Most 45-foot scissors weigh in the 2000kg region and often occupy little more than 2sqm.

I would think scaff tower is your friend here being honest. They're much lighter, they don't take long to put together, and pack down small. They're also cheaper than scissor lifts.

You say it's the most labour and time intensive.... I'd disagree. With a good crew they go together very quickly.

Is there no access straight onto the beams so your riggers can just get straight up on the beams and work with rope and tackle?

You will struggle to get a scissor lift that puts down less than 450kg/sqm. Most 45-foot scissors weigh in the 2000kg region and often occupy little more than 2sqm.

I would think scaff tower is your friend here being honest. They're much lighter, they don't take long to put together, and pack down small. They're also cheaper than scissor lifts.

You say it's the most labour and time intensive.... I'd disagree. With a good crew they go together very quickly.

Is there no access straight onto the beams so your riggers can just get straight up on the beams and work with rope and tackle?

Thanks for the fast reply.

There is is access to one end of the beams, how ever this access is only to the underside, as the top of the beams are flush with the concrete ceiling of the atrium. As for the rig points these will be created with beam clamps with the loads practically vertical.

I'll take a picture of the room tomorrow and add it to the thread if this helps.

There is is access to one end of the beams, how ever this access is only to the underside, as the top of the beams are flush with the concrete ceiling of the atrium. As for the rig points these will be created with beam clamps with the loads practically vertical.

Well in that case yep I stick with my original vote, use a scaff tower. They're not very heavy and pretty quick to put up.

With the scissor lift remember that they cover little more than 2sqm, but the actual floor contact is tiny, probably less than a square foot. So there is no way you'll get one in there.

Would a Genie AWP-36s or 40s be any use? They will go through a standard doorway and the 36 weighs just over 500kg. May be a little quicker than constructing and deconstructing a scaff tower. I believe that scaff towers should be brought down lower than 4.2m before moving.

We have been asked to design and rig an event in the summer and currently have an access problem to solve before we can come up with a rig which works for all involved parties.

Your profile says you're a student. Is this an academic exercise?

If its hypothetical, there are some here who might be sniffy with you about asking the BR to do your homework. Not me though. ;)

If its real, I'd suggest adding an option 5 to your list: engage a proper rigging company to put the hoists in for you.

We have been asked to design and rig an event in the summer and currently have an access problem to solve before we can come up with a rig which works for all involved parties.

If its hypothetical, there are some here who might be sniffy with you about asking the BR to do your homework. Not me though. ;)

If its real, I'd suggest adding an option 5 to your list: engage a proper rigging company to put the hoists in for you.

If you click the link that says "My Website" it shows he works for a small events company... seemingly run all by students or recent grads from the same college.

Which is kind of cool, but yes, it is something that really, at 15m, ought to be covered by a rigging company really. Just because they say the beams are rated for a ton it doesn't mean you can just bang a couple of beam clamps on and start hanging things. But the question was about the access, not about the rigging...

My skeptical side says, with rigging "If you need to ask a forum how to do it, you need to hire somebody to do it!"

Which is kind of cool

Just had a rummage around that website. Yes, it is kind of cool. :)

it is something that really, at 15m, ought to be covered by a rigging company really.

I don't see the relevance of the 15m really, as far as I know there isn't a minimum height that requires competence.

But the question was about the access, not about the rigging...

Indeed. And sometimes (as apparently in this case) the access is the tricky bit. I don't think I quite see the distinction you're making there.

it is something that really, at 15m, ought to be covered by a rigging company really.

I don't see the relevance of the 15m really, as far as I know there isn't a minimum height that requires competence.

In that if it were at 3m they could use Manfrottos and it wouldn't really need a rigging company. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

But the question was about the access, not about the rigging...

Indeed. And sometimes (as apparently in this case) the access is the tricky bit. I don't think I quite see the distinction you're making there.

True true, but difficult access doesn't mean rigging company does it. You don't see riggers getting called in when people need to clean skylights.

That was all I meant. If they can do rigging, but can't do access, then it is an access company they need, not a rigging one. But yeah, if for the same money they can get a rigging company then that's a bonus.

You could either:

A) Hire a Genie AWP40 that gives a 12.3m platform, but you'd be working at a stretch to install those points.

B) Get a rigger in who can install the points whilst hanging below the beams.

C) Hire a scaffold tower. Bearing in mind that most manufacturers now recommend a tower over 4.2m in height not be moved. So you'd be assembling and disassembling it to 4.2m every time you had to move it. Though for 6-9 points this isn't particularly problematic.

If that lift was just slightly bigger there are some trailer mounted booms that would make it a very easy job.

How does he get there? And what holds him up there whilst he does his best monkey impression.

Nah. B isn't an option!

C) Hire a scaffold tower. Bearing in mind that most manufacturers now recommend a tower over 4.2m in height not be moved. So you'd be assembling and disassembling it to 4.2m every time you had to move it. Though for 6-9 points this isn't particularly problematic.

Whilst against the manufacturers advice, it's not uncommon practice to load the bottom decks up with some stage weights if you want to move it when over 5m tall. You definitely want to get the user down from the top, but ballasting down the bottom is reasonably common practice if it's being moved over short distances on flat, solid and stable ground.

How does he get there? And what holds him up there whilst he does his best monkey impression.

Nah. B isn't an option!

The OP said there is access to one side of the beams, then you just need a beam trolley or two and off you go.

Whilst against the manufacturers advice, it's not uncommon practice to load the bottom decks up with some stage weights if you want to move it when over 5m tall. You definitely want to get the user down from the top, but ballasting down the bottom is reasonably common practice if it's being moved over short distances on flat, solid and stable ground.

Common practise to breach the manufacturers guidelines? Backed up with appropriate calculations signed off by an engineer and the insurers I take it......

Would a Genie AWP-36s or 40s be any use? They will go through a standard doorway and the 36 weighs just over 500kg. May be a little quicker than constructing and deconstructing a scaff tower. I believe that scaff towers should be brought down lower than 4.2m before moving.

Will have a look into the hire of these. A subtitle sheet or sheets of hardboard or similar to spread the load should make the use AWP's feasible.

The guidance we received from HSS over their towers was they should be brought down to 6.2m or less before movement.

This is not an academic exercise, but a real life problem that we thought that some of you might offer some logical solutions to, that we hadn't thought of ourselves.

This project is currently in the planning stages, I know its late in the day, but hey thats how this place works unfortunately. The question is about the access to install the rig points, all final calculations and load diagrams will be checked prior to install by a structural engineer if we go down the hang route.

Currently Option 4 is becoming more president as the time to get the beams re-tested is running out, and that 3 ton's over 6 -9 points is nothing after you add the rigging hardware and truss. We have links with two rigging companies who we are in discussions with too, Option 2 actually came from one of them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it looks like we are creating some interesting discussion here, and I'm really keen to hear your opinions on this. As they say we are all still learning.

Nah. B isn't an option!

The OP said there is access to one side of the beams, then you just need a beam trolley or two and off you go.

Common practise to breach the manufacturers guidelines? Backed up with appropriate calculations signed off by an engineer and the insurers I take it......

It's a scaff tower, not the Humber Bridge.

The key phrase is "IS IT SAFE?". Only you can answer that and if it is, get on with it. A temporary access platform with no people on it doesn't need to be signed off by an engineer in order to be moved.

Oh, and by the way... I think you will find the manufacturers instructions are not avid fans of using beam trolleys for personnel flying. In fact, I think you would find them strongly in opposition to it. The rules for flying personnel are quite a lot more in depth than for flying equipment, you can't just clip into a beam trolley and wheel yourself along the beam! What would you do for backup out of interest?

Nah. B isn't an option!

While it is a viable option as some manufacturers suggest such a thing if you cannot have out riggers (position etc etc) it might be one thing to look in to. HOWEVER recalling my PASMA course the weight required would make it not that far off the equivalent of a run around tower

Archived