And another soldering question ...

TeeJay

While I've started the debate on solder vs IDC, does anyone have a recommendation for gas soldering irons?

We have a Waller for the workshop based stuff but it would be nice to have an iron that you could use anywhere without having to run extension cable in for.

Cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weller do a nice gas soldering iron called a "pyropen"

It has a nice pointy nib which doesn't discintegrate after being one for a while.

The firing up of the flame to heat the nib is good too. I think they're around £70

modge, that wouldn't be the irodo solderpro 70 would it?

Also my soldering iron of choice, and my only one. No leads cluttering up my tool box, and never a worry about getting it to the job, or tangling oneself in the lead.

The lighter in the tip isn't that great though, but there are a whole range of tips available, including knife, blowtorch, s,m,l tips, hot air blower and a couple more. Most Maplins stock them and have for a few years now, so spare tips are never far away (unless you are in spain)

A little word of advice, don't quench the tip in water to cool it when you are finished, it washes the little bit of catalyst fluff out and that stops it working properly. Not a clever thing to do in menorca, where maplins are more than a little thin on the ground...

modge, that wouldn't be the irodo solderpro 70 would it?

Also my soldering iron of choice, and my only one.

According to maplin's website, that unit is currently on promo at half price - £14.99

See HERE

Bruce.

How easy is getting spare tips for this? I'm rather more tempted by the Antex Gascat 60 kit that is only £40 from RS with a range of tips at around £5 but if the spares are around ...

I brought mine a good while ago; the price has probably gone down since. It has to be said it is really convenient, my only soldering iron. The other bonus of course is the impossibility of being too far from a plug.

• 1 month later...

So we went with the Gascat 60 in the end and it's already proving useful. However, we could do with a 'third hand', particularly for the smaller connectors such as Lemo, Hirose etc.

We had a modellers hand that had two multi jointed arms on a sturdy base, that ended with removable croc clips and a third arm with magnifying lens on it but I've pulled it from it's store to find that both the clips are missing and the lens has cracked.

There's no identifying mark on it so I've no idea where to look for it.

The nearest I can find to it is on pages 5-510/511 in the RS catalogue but I'm baulking at the best part of £200 for a holding kit. The only thing so far via google is this which is right but may be useful enough.

Before I put in the P.O. for it, does anyone else have a suggestion for a modellers vice?

Maplin

although that isn't the one I have which came, IIRC, from Farnell. Can't find it in the catalogue though.

We have one of those in our workshop, but I hardly use it. They are a great idea, but beware of overheating the component while soldering and causing damage to the component, because the clips don't seem to work very well as heat sinks. It's much easier to detect the temperature when hand held. :unsure:

On that subject, why can't someone make a plug (DMX, XLR, din etc) out of a material wth a higher melting point than the solder?

I've got a set of "helping hands" for soldering - a black metal base with two crocodile clips on ball & socket joints attached to a horizontal bar (not like the Maplin one). I went for the version without the magnifying glass.

Mine came from Basic Electronics in Guildford. I think I paid around £7 for it. Give 'em a call - its not on their website...

Marc

Archived