And another soldering question ...

TeeJay

On that subject, why can't someone make a plug (DMX, xlr, din etc) out of a material wth a higher melting point than the solder?

Whilst it may seem counter-intuitive, get yourself a decent hot soldering iron. Nothing less than 50W with a decent sized 370 degree C tip.

If your iron is too cold it will take longer to melt the solder running the risk of melting the plug. If your tip is too small then it won't hold enough heat to melt the solder quickly, again running a risk of melting.

I have a Weller TCP iron with PSU and use a PTAA7 bit (370 degrees, 1.6mm spade tip). I can't remember the last time I melted a plug.

Oh, and if you are re-using a connector make sure you clean it up properly first.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst it may seem counter-intuitive, get yourself a decent hot soldering iron. Nothing less than 50W with a decent sized 370 degree C tip.

Thanks for that,

I'll get the boss to buy us a decent one. I'm not the one who melts the plugs (honest) but I'm sure the cost of a decent iron will be saved in replacing melted plugs.

Thanks for that, 

I'll get the boss to buy us a decent one. I'm not the one who melts the plugs (honest) but I'm sure the cost of a decent iron will be saved in replacing melted plugs.

I've been soldering leads for more years than I'd care to think, and, with a decent iron I was still having trouble with a batch of DMX leads last week. Don't know who's cable it was, but it was 'orid! Deltron connectors have a somewhat heavier shell when compared to Neutrik requiring a bit more heat, thus melting the insulation on the cable. Grrr...

Thanks for that, 

I've been soldering leads for more years than I'd care to think, and, with a decent iron I was still having trouble with a batch of DMX leads last week. Don't know who's cable it was, but it was 'orid! Deltron connectors have a somewhat heavier shell when compared to Neutrik requiring a bit more heat, thus melting the insulation on the cable. Grrr...

Lead Free solder is mandatory on manufactured gear in less than a year, and it tends to have a higher melting point. No lead , lots more tin and bit of silver.

Trick to soldering plugs, dons flame retardent suit, is a `lay on` joint, heavily tin the wire and the pin of the connector, bring two tinned , as in almost dripping, parts together and remelt the solder on both parts together, applying slight dab of fresh solder, if required to avoid dry joint.

Vote here for the Antex TCS temp control in handle.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.a...30198&XPAGENO=2

Helping hands tend to find most useful is pack of Blu-Tak at hand at all times.

Weller Pyropen (the larger of the 2). I have just bought a new one, the old one still goes (just) and I have had it 10 years, it has been many many miles and never let me down. With the right selection of tips (I use 2) you can do anything between Socapex and very fine work such as 37 pin soca and D-sub minature connectors.

However, I always prefer to crimp wherever possible.

just found these on the maplin web site....

cold heat iron

what do you think?

I bought one of these from Ebay before Xmas. Absolutely brilliant! BEWARE: if buying one from Ebay be careful where it comes from! Mine came from USA and I had to pay a hefty sum due to the old import tax!!

Anyways, nice gadget...would recommend! Use it most days. Still on same batteries which came with it, have been going for atleast 3 months.

Andrew

Anyways, nice gadget...would recommend! Use it most days. Still on same batteries which came with it, have been going for atleast 3 months.

I shall remember that when I have to sell them!

• 3 weeks later...

For those looking for another source for 'third hands', the latest Studiospares catalogue landed on my desk today and they sell a miniature component holder similar to the maplin flavour for a little over £5.

Code 537-700

No picture on the site though

There has been some chat on the rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft newsgroup about cold heat soldering irons this week. Bigclive posted a review - see

HERE

His final comment:

In short, it's a novelty.  Don't waste your money.

Bruce.

• 1 year later...

Pete drags up another old thread....

Soldering irons and the RS website.

Im looking for a gas (or battery) powered Iron.And reading this thread I'm guessing the gas cat's the way to go.

Confuson comes when I look at it on the RS website.

Andy S,mentions that it comes with some useful stuff,however on the RS site it looks like it just comes with a tip.

Any help or alternatives please share

Thankyou

EDIT:Broken Link Removed

Pete, your URL is broken

but I'll make some guesses - I'm guessing you're looking at one of the antex gascat units... you can buy either the basic iron, or the kit, which has a few extras - a case and some additional bits.

Check the manufacturers part number. The "kit" and "basic iron" part numbers are similar, but the kit has "KT" on the end....

eg there's

T100KS pocket size gas solder iron kit

* RS Stock no. 433-5978

* Manufacturer Antex

* Manufact. part no. XG060KT

at 40 quid

and

Antex Gascat 60 miniature gas iron10-60W

* RS Stock no. 433-6038

* Manufacturer Antex

* Manufact. part no. XG06020

at 20. Note the similarity in manuf part numbers.

ps - CPC do the XG060KT for 33 pounds...

Pete, your link was a broken relative URL for the second of Bruce's suggestions... the gascat 60

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...ll&Ntt=433-6038

the RS description states

# Cap includes pocket clip and flint ignitor

# Hot air tip available separately

# 2.4mm tip fitted as standard

looks like you get only 1 tip from the RS pack...

For bench soldering, I use a "Maplin Special" solder station - temp controlled for about £15. For mobile, there is a "Portasol" in my toolkit, which has a bit of a naff lighter in its lid, but the iron is spot on (literally). Nice small tip, and quick heat up time, with not a lot of heat out of the sides of the iron. Think it was around the £18 mark from Harrogate Electronics (including solder:))

Nice <_<

Archived