Cyc Improvement

2012snoopyrocks

I am trying to improve the look of our cyc in one of our bigger theatres, and I was wondering if any of you know a way to do this without purchasing new lights. Attachments are fine, but I just don't have any good ideas.

We are already using diffusion with the lights and there are lights above and below the cyc. We've just never had very good results.

Thanks!

Maddy

In what way "improve"?

Better coverage from the lanterns you already own?

Different 'looks' for backgrounds?

What lanterns are you currently using?

How many?

What additional lighting kit is available?

As a 'look better' option have you tried some side projected gobos on soft-focus across the cloth? Or up and across from floor stands...?

What is the width and haeight of your cyc, what cyc lights do you have, how far apart are they, how far away from the cyc are they and how far above the cyc are they. What are the positions of your lighting bars closest to your cyc, distance away from and height above ?

Than a plan and elevation drawing can tell a lot of information.

The cyc is 56'-0" wide and 26'-0" tall. However, because there is a border covering the top of the cyc, we cheated and hung the cyc lights on a pipe about 4 feet from the top of the cyc. So that minus the sides of the cyc covered by legs, we're talking about a 50 foot by 22 foot area.

Believe it or not, the lights have no label on them whatsoever so I don't know what brand they are. They're at least 20 years old and are just standard 3 color fixtures. Each fixture has 15 total lamps/color slots and we have 6 spaning the bottom of the cyc and 6 more across the top. These fixtures are practically touching eachother, so we've done about as much as we can. The fixtures are 8 inches from the cyc both on the top and bottom, because that is where the pipe is and that is where the ground row "hole" exists below the stage level.

The cyc is cloth and in front of it (behind the lights) we have a black scrim.

The fixtures are 8 inches from the cyc both on the top and bottom, because that is where the pipe is and that is where the ground row "hole" exists below the stage level.

Well, there's your problem.

Just checked your location, it seems as though you have a Borderlight.

For asymetrical cyc lights to be effective you need to mount them at a recommended/optimum position. See this Selecon Cyc info sheet.

If you have borderlights you will not be able to get the even light level from top to bottom, which is what the asymetrical reflector does.

Have a look at the Lee filters, note the losses when you use a frost. Lee 228 Brushed Silk has one of the best stretching effects so will help you stretch the cells and merge them together, but will not help you get that even light intensity from top to bottom, as it still has a peak in the centre.

Have a look at Control Booth for discussions on borderlights. The only way I can think of getting borderlights to work is to use two parallel sets of them, one set has medium spread lamps to light the top half of the cyc and one set has narrow spread lamps to light the bottom half of the cyc.

Off Topic - I have a set of 25 degree RGBW 84 x 3W led strip lights that don't quite work, very similar in comparison to your borderlights, my next move is to get 4 row rectangular led floods so I can put different lens in each row going from wide to narrow and offset them.

Do these border lights use standard household type light bulbs? The ones I'm thinking of do.

If so you might be able to fit bulbs with the reflective cap on the top part of the bulb, this might help with the hot spot and diffusion.

Do these border lights use standard household type light bulbs? The ones I'm thinking of do.

If so you might be able to fit bulbs with the reflective cap on the top part of the bulb, this might help with the hot spot and diffusion.

Well, the Borderlights linked above all have PAR 16 or PAR 38 lamps in...

Soz, I was thinking old school strand type cyc lights :)

Yeah, that is what I said, domestic style! You can get 100w bulbs with a reflective coating covering the top half of the bulb reflecting all the light back onto the lamps reflector.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding "The borderlights linked above" there is no URL link.

Peace.

Archived