Lighting desk recommendations

Thirdtap

I never found out about the game until months afterI had purchased my Fat Frog, and I have nothing but praise for its usability, functions, size, price etc.. It's a wonderful desk, game or no game!

Regards,

Rich.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that I think that the frog is a perfectly good small scale lighting desk. It has its problems - edtiting cues is a little clunky and some of its operations take a little bit more time than they should, but for the budget it is about as good as you can get.

Whenever I can afford a 520 I get a 520, when I can afford a Hog I get a hog, but where I am short on cash the frog does the job fine..

Richard

Would you really suggest that they replace an XLS with a Hog?

Was the significance of the little "winking smiley" lost on you, Rob? ;) :blink: :blink: :D

Of course every desk is aimed at a particular market, and the Frog and the Hog (?!) are quite obviously the 'chalk and cheese' of moving light desks. I think we're all agreed that it's very much a case of "to each, their own" when it comes to desks, taking factors like cost, capacity and intended use into account.

But that doesn't alter the fact that, in my humble opinion, thought the Frog costs about a fifth of the price of a Hog, the Hog is way more than 5 times the desk that a Frog will ever be. Yes, I know it's like comparing a Daewoo to a Bentley, but if you were a professional driver, which car would you rather spend your working hours at the wheel of? :blink:

hi,

I think that the hog is a great desk if you are doing a F*#~ off huge show, with all sorts of buckets and mirrors, but for the smaller shows the frog beats them all hands down

- strands desks are great when programmed, but are a pain to run manually (faders are far to close together and small) for any show when I need to run it manually, I would go for the Zero88 ranges as they are so easy to use when in a hurry.

I agree that editing a scene is a bit slow, but the rest of the features of the frog series more than make up for the failings of it.

the frog is a great little desk for the smaller show and can (just) handle the bigger ones too, this makes it perfect in my eyes. (anyway, what other desks have built in games to amuse you when the going relies on the performers ;) )

andrew

P.S. I only found frogger about 2 hours[slow, I know :D ] after I found the board to be a kick ass little bit of kit.

I would say that the perl is better than the frog for busk-a-bility

Agreed.

I'm not really an Avolites operator, but I can blag my way through the basics on a Pearl if need be, and as a 'hands-on' buskable desk for a mixture of generics and movers they're just the job and cheap with it.

(Still rather a Hog, though! :D)

I'd love a Hog, but that's one of the bad things about being poor!

Could someone possibly pm or post me a few prices for the II and III - can't seem to find them anywhere and I'm not going to pretend I'm not interested :D !

Regards,

Rich.

ok then, I'll revise that last post - of all the desks that I have used a lot (in conditions that can test all of the features) , the frog beats them all for busk-ability.

I would love to get my hands on a perl to try doing a busked show on it. but the opportunity has not presented itself yet. ah well- heres hoping!

hmmm, what is the £ range for a frog equivalent perl? could be interesting to see what was missed out on.

andrew

Agreed.

I'm not really an Avolites operator, but I can blag my way through the basics on a Pearl if need be, and as a 'hands-on' buskable desk for a mixture of generics and movers they're just the job and cheap with it.

(Still rather a Hog, though! )

I would actually say that the pearl is better than the hog II for busking in a lot of ways - more playbacks for one thing - although the Hog is a better desk in a lot of other ways..

I would actually say that the pearl is better than the hog II for busking in a lot of ways - more playbacks for one thing

You'd be surprised! Yes, the Pearl has 15 physical playbacks against the Hog's 8 (we won't mention Hog Wings ... ;) ). BUT ... if I hook my little Strand 200 12/24 up to the Hog as external DMX masters, and do a bit of touchscreen shuffling so that I have 2 full-screen cuelist windows full of virtual masters, I can get 172 'playbacks' all accessible with a single button push, each of which can contain a state, a chase or a cuelist. And that's before I start saving pages and views which will allow me to multiply that 172 many times over until I run out of memory. :D

I also find that the way that the pearls priorities work is sometimes better than the hog, especially for live work, and the roller wheel does work very nicely.

I've used the Hog with the wings, and while it is good, it can get a little confusing as to what is where and when, especially as the little displays are so small..

Richard

hmmm, looks like I need to have a go at a hog as well.

does anyone know if there are any 'extensions' to the frog board as described for the hog series?

I.e using a sirius 24? or any such thing.

I think that the use of pages are limited to theatrical shows as the whole point of submasters seems to be that they are instantly accessible, using pages seems to defeat the point a bit. though if the show is a cabaret type show and tours, then they could be immensly useful.

now, if only they could install a wheel like system on the frog series it would seriously kick ass!

anyway, sorry to interrupt the previous train of thought. :D

andrew

Archived