Lighting desk recommendations

Thirdtap

The new software version is due out imminently for the Strand 200 series, this will support the video output card also due out about now.

Unfortunately I don't have any further details yet, I'm holding off purchasing a new desk till I can get to have a play.

shane

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might try and get a demo of the strand 100 or 200.

I have used their TV studio desks, NASTY bits of kit! I have worked working with them at Salford University, on a once a week basis and still can’t get my head round them nearly 2 year later!!

We however did a gig in a random venue not knowing what kit was turning up! It turned out to be a zero88 Fat Frog, my mate engineered spent 30min learning how it worked did the show and has brought on that basis now if that’s not a recommendation I don’t know what it!

:(

Might try and get a demo of the strand 100 or 200.

I have used their TV studio desks, NASTY bits of kit! I have worked working with them at Salford University, on a once a week basis and still can’t get my head round them nearly 2 year later!!

When you say their "TV studio desks", which desks do you mean, Tony? The ones that are most commonly found in telly studios in the UK are Galaxies. These are VERY different beasts from the current generation of Strand's small memory desks. The bottom line is that, despite the fact that Galaxy has gone through much revision and improvement since its inception, it's still a 20-year-old design. (Having said that, though, I do like Galaxies a lot - they're one of my favourite theatre desks.)

Regarding the 200-series - yes, there's an all-new software release (in fact, it's a whole new motherboard) due for release soon - I believe it's going to start going into production consoles in about a month's time, and has some very nice new features. I should be getting one from Strand in the next few days to put into my 200, so I'll report back once I've had a fiddle with it!

I think a Zero 88 Frog would be failry ok, I agree with third tap about the behringer stuff! If you wnat moving light capabilities then I would reccomend looking at something like a Fat Frog. Smaller than that I suppose is either the Elara or Alcora. I think AC Lighting had some good prices on Zero 88 equipment - Not Sure!

hi,

B) great, there are other independent endorsements of a great tool.

I think that it is great that zero88 have hit the nail [fairly] squarely on the head and produced a board that is flexible and also capable of fairly advanced things.

The fat frog could pose a minor problem with the external power transformer but that could be mounted on the desk (probably). other than that, I think that it would be perfect for the type of work described.

See if you can get into somewhere that has a fat frog and have a go at it (especially frogger :( ) the footprint is not too big a problem for us as it fits comfortably on a small desk and has enough space within the board for a script when using the programmed system and no masters.

Frogger - yay!

Sorry, as you all know I agree wholeheartedly with Smeggie and Richard Rayner - the Fat Frog is one of the best I have used for its size, weight, dimensions, and price - Richard's right, AC currently have some cracking deals on Zero 88. I personally use a nice mix of 18ch worth of dimmer packs and 6 moving yokes - with a 72ch demux if I go to a big school - it all fits together and works. I have custom built a f/c for my Fat Frog with storage for the transformer - this has been physically chained to the desk (there are holes along the sides for aesthetics!) so it won't go anywhere!

Regards,

Rich.

Ma I reoomend the new Zero 88 Illusion 500, very nice piece of kit, has superb fuctionality as it is essaentialy combining the Fat Frog and the Illusion into 1 desk. The software for moving lights isnt fully developed yet, but it will be here shortly. It retails for about £2,500. And will be able to control most movers.

Definatley worth looking at.

Personaly I like the zero88 desks. I have got my school to buy one to replace our old Strand Tempus 24 (horrible desk sepecially w/o the manuel!!)

Although I have heard of frogger can some one please tell me how to accses it!

Aah, Frogger, it keeps me sane during incredibly boring rehersals/one cue shows!

For those not in the know, Frogger is an inbuilt game (built into all (he says!) of Zero 88's Frog range desks) that copies the old frogger game - you know, where you move a frog across a road and then a river across logs etc.!

It has also been suggested to Zero 88 that another game be added - whether or not they do is another matter - but a full length version of Quake or something similar would be nice!

Regards,

Rich.

The fact that a lot of the comments in this thread praising the Frog range are centred around the fact that it has an in-built game (wow - not!) kinda says it all really. If you want a Frog, buy a Frog. If you want a proper lighting desk, buy a Strand 520/530. If you want a proper desk and you've got a nice generous budget, buy a Hog. :D

The fact that a lot of the comments in this thread praising the Frog range are centred around the fact that it has an in-built game (wow - not!) kinda says it all really. If you want a Frog, buy a Frog. If you want a proper lighting desk, buy a Strand 520/530. If you want a proper desk and you've got a nice generous budget, buy a Hog.  

Hang on, the original request was for a small scale desk like the XLS?? We seem to have agreed that from the original brief and price range the Frog is a good option. Why is the Frog not a 'proper' lighting desk? It has its own target audience as does something like a 520 - Would you really suggest that they replace an XLS with a Hog?

Archived