Line 6 Mixer

Bobbsy

I'm not sure what I think but check out the new Line 6 mixer.

No faders, few knobs, just a touch screen with a visual display.

Details HERE.

Actually, I do know what I think. I think I'd hate it--but I'm a retired troglodyte.

It'll probably sell by the truckload tbh.

Yea, I know of a number of local bands that do small gigs and can't afford to hire a sound engineer, and don't understand enough to use a digital mixer yet need more stuff than an analogue has built in (they can't afford or be bothered with loads of outboard). This would appear to be ideal for them.

For a while I've been arguing that we are still at the beginning of the digital audio revolution. And I've been wondering (albeit mainly in the area of lighting control interfaces) when are we going to see products designed by and for the PlayStation generation.

It looks like someone (in this case Line6) has let the hotheads have a go and create a product that doesn't look like it wants to be a product of the last century. Excellent.

Now perhaps the digital audio revolution can start for real...

16ch multitrack recording might just have potential by itself.

Given how cheap storage is these days (Thai floods notwithstanding) it's now quite feasible for up and coming bands to record every gig and rehearsal they play. A mixer along these lines, coupled with a multi-terabyte hard disc or cloud storage. Of course, most of what's recorded will be utter dross, but for bands that do make it big, having an archive like this will be a potential goldmine if you can sell the material to diehard fans.

The Mackie looks pretty good - the ability to have up to 10 ipads connected means that personal monitor mixes a la Aviom are already included. If this isn't too expensive, it could be quite popular. After all, there are plenty of iPads already out there.

The Mackie looks pretty good - the ability to have up to 10 ipads connected means that personal monitor mixes a la Aviom are already included. If this isn't too expensive, it could be quite popular. After all, there are plenty of iPads already out there.

10 ipads connected?

I do networking in college and it's a piece of cake to spam out those signals, making that very not effective in a real life situation if someone is nearby feeling malicious.

Actually, even less than that! Wireless routers are everywhere, and there is only 11 channels that they transmit on (at least the common ones), which is the same network that the ipads would create there network on.

Having said all that, the ipad must only be the front end and the processing is all done on the desk otherwise if you lost connection you would be completely screwed, which I would imagine would happen on a wireless network.

It would be beautiful if I could get over the paranoia in my mind of when stuff goes wrong it goes completely wrong when it's digital!

It does look really really slick all the same.

Hmmm (sorry Ynot) it has potential I think.

Any ideas about a price?

£1,999 inc.vat according to the mailing I got from DV247 yesterday. They have it on their website to pre-order.

Line 6 Mixer

I quite like the idea of mixing with pictures. I'm not totally sold on the design and graphics they've come up with but I find the concept interesting.

I don't know if this is how the Line6 one works, but in my mind it should be like this:

Someone wants their monitor mix changing, you touch the picture of their monitor and up pops their mix (in a visual format).

Same for an instrument, touch the instrument on the screen and up comes controls relevant to it.

I don't want to get rid of all the knobs from live sound but this could be a way of making navigating digital desks simpler. To be honest, I don't think the appeal for me lies in making digital desks simpler (with the exception of the Digidesign boards, that I find tortuous, I don't tend to get lost too frequently), I like the concept of taking a different approach to mixing. I think the Line6 marketing is aimed at musicians and trying to put over the idea that mixing live sound can be simplified so much that no skills are required, even musicians can do it. Slightly insulting to anyone who does it for a living, slightly insulting to the ability of musicians to tie their own shoelaces and mostly wrong, but I'll let it pass. The concept has some merit and I reckon would be interesting to apply to a larger, more serious desk. Think 2 great big touchscreens at foh or monitors and mixing by touch? Away from live sound I do a lot of video work and one of the systems I use allows me to cue and run VT clips and graphics either directly from the vision mixer or by using a touch screen that gives me thumbnails of the clips. 9 times out of 10 I go for the touch screen, it feels far more intuitive. At the same time, I can set up the whole system to mix using a touch screen but it doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

Just my tuppence worth.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived