Line 6 Mixer

Bobbsy

The Mackie looks pretty good - the ability to have up to 10 ipads connected means that personal monitor mixes a la Aviom are already included. If this isn't too expensive, it could be quite popular. After all, there are plenty of iPads already out there.

10 ipads connected?

I do networking in college and it's a piece of cake to spam out those signals, making that very not effective in a real life situation if someone is nearby feeling malicious.

Actually, even less than that! Wireless routers are everywhere, and there is only 11 channels that they transmit on (at least the common ones), which is the same network that the ipads would create there network on.

Having said all that, the ipad must only be the front end and the processing is all done on the desk otherwise if you lost connection you would be completely screwed, which I would imagine would happen on a wireless network.

It would be beautiful if I could get over the paranoia in my mind of when stuff goes wrong it goes completely wrong when it's digital!

It does look really really slick all the same.

We're having a bit of a discussion in the Behringer/ipad desk thread about the Mackie at the moment! I think this could be a very environmentally sound concept - a great way to find a home for a few of those original Ipads going cheap nowadays! Then you could leave one permanently in the desk (to stave off those who would jam your control signals!), keep one for roaming and maybe trust the musos with the third one on stage!

Wrt the Line 6 - I think I'd rather have an 01v myself if it's running to £2k - or an IDR-16 with tablet control! I'm intrigued to see whether this will result in a whole host of similar 'garageband' style products designed to democratise live sound mixing... though the fact I did just watch PressPausePlay might have more to do with it!

...I'm intrigued to see whether this will result in a whole host of similar 'garageband' style products designed to democratise live sound mixing...

I was just about to leap in and suggest the last thing live sound mixing needs is democracy introducing to it but then I looked up the word. I've learned a new word today. Thank you Matt!

Just for the sake of accuracy I should point out that the definition given here at the Free Dictionary.com is incomplete. It lacks the definition "introduce a democratic system or democratic principles to" as defined in the Oxford English.

I don't mind the idea of making live sound accessible to everyone although I doubt it will introduce any improvement in quality or originality but I am 100% that certain mixing by vote is not going to work.

Cheers,

Peter

We should remember that Small Josh is but a tadpole in the age race. It is himself and mates who will be using them, and similar, in the "future". If he is entirely comfortable with the concept then why not? If the creatives of tomorrow can get along without faders and produce excellent work by simply manipulating ones and zeros then they should just go for it.

Nippers of today have some very nice "toys" to play with and their use of electronic comms to mates, socialsites etc, etc is has happened very rapidly indeed and is an accepted way of life. Using electronic kit is second nature to them and their minds are far more agile.

(When I compare the difficulty of listening to breaking news via SW radio cf the way we all know about the true state of affairs in the ME via cell phone/internet, via video, then I realise how old I am, ** laughs out loud **.

Another indicator of old age, so to speak, is when ones teenage son blags a digicamera (his is "lost"...) and ends up publishing pictures on tumblr(?). As a dutiful/doting parent I look at them and am amazed at the effects he has produced just on the camera, no Photoshop "magic". I ask him how he did the pics and I hear a pause, then the response, "er..take too long Dad...")

So if as was mentioned above this is the "start" to the digital age in sound with a touch screen then best to let the young get on with it, after all it's them as will be using it. In fact I'm relying on the "digital" age to keep me going in my "old" age.

Will I be spec'ing this (or indeed the Mackie) for 60-odd input, 20-odd mix shows? Nope.

Is it an exciting bit of forward momentum for the somewhat analogue-centric world of digital desk ergonomics? Hell yes!

The channel count alone rules it out of pretty much every job I'm likely to take on any time soon, but I'd love to have a play with one.

I think it's a brilliant concept.

Archived