Black Paint

cmccabe

Hi,

We are looking into painting the ceiling of our performance space. Currently it is wooden tounge and groove type boards and ideally we would like to paint it all matt black. Due to the theatrical enviroment is there a specific type of paint that is necersarry or is it down to safety recomendations.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, Flints seem to have had good reviews all round in terms of their black paint.

My main point to the question is surrounding H&S. In some places the ceiling is around 30cm from the truss, My main concern would obviously be the heat from the lanterns and fallout or sparks from pyrotechnics. Are there any implications from using paint regarding fire risk etc? Or even damage from heat?

Am I potentially creating a bigger fire risk by painting the ceiling?

Thanks

As long as you stck to water-based paint rather than oil based there whouldn't be a problem. You'll be pleased to learn that Flints Theatre Black is water-based! :)

Is that really true? Surely once it's dried it's irrelevant whether it had an oil or water base.

Well cb' nothing to stop you painting some timber sheet/t&g with your "test" sample(s) and turning a Par 64 loose on it from the 30cm mark.

Bearing in mind the incidental heat "wave"(?) from a lantern is going to be "several" dB down from the full nova you should be able to get some idea about the H&S aspect.

After all that's what H&S would do....and in this instance so could you.

If you found the Par replicated a hot air paintstripper then at least you would be able to get some idea about what paints to avoid. Any nasty black smoke is to be avoided. If the paint survived that then the incidental heat would not be a worry.

I would be more concerned about drapes than paint...I recall a castle in Windsor proved that point...

Well cb' nothing to stop you painting some timber sheet/t&g with your "test" sample(s) and turning a Par 64 loose on it from the 30cm mark.

A PAR64 at full intensity will indeed strip paint from a timber surface, but not from as far away as 30cm*. The (standard) parcan needs to be sat on its nose for quite a few seconds before the paint is soft enough to be scraped away. A short-nosed PAR64 may be quicker. However, neither is anywhere near as effective as a hot-air paint-stripper for this purpose. :P

*actually, I suppose the lamp itself is about 30cm from the floor in this situation, as supported within the shell of the lantern. And the other crucial difference of course is that in normal use, hanging from a grid 30cm below the ceiling, I imagine the unit will be pointing away from the painted surface (subject of course to confirmation from the original poster)

agreed, soft goods and drapery would generally be more of a concern than hard painted surfaces.

Time now for the boring old fart to write in and say; "Go see the fire officer."

Do expect him to say ;"You use WHAT under a wooden ceiling?" when you mention pyro but stick to your guns and get his advice. Painting the ceiling with even flame retardants may not be enough for him to agree to give his blessing but only he can give adequate advice on this one.

The age and condition of the timber will make a difference as will what exactly you use the space for.

To add; I don't think radiant heat from a Par can is the point but convection upwards from 20 or more. May be wrong, depends on ventilation, obviously.

Alas unfortunetly Erroneousblack we're mostly in the hands of third party carriers who shall we say won't have a uniformly high quality of 'giving a damn' amongst all of the nationwide staff.

If any Flints deliveries do turn up spoilt or with obvious damage to the carton and you suspect that there may be damaged items inside please do the following.

1) sign for the package as 'damaged' or 'unchecked' or something even more discriptive such as 'massive hole in side where somebody has hit it with forklift forks'

2) Please take some pictures, don't have to be great, just something off a mobile phone will do.

3) email or phone our customer services team who'll ask for the photo and then we'll sort out some replacements for you.

The stuff from Flints is the best, they just need to learn how to deliver it without one of the tins bursting!

The stuff from Flints is the best, they just need to learn how to deliver it without one of the tins bursting!

Screwfix had the same problem with 5ltr tins of white emulsions. They then moved to putting the tins into heavy gauge plastic bags which at least meant your paint arrived, even if it ended up shipped 'loose'. They now no longer sell larger sized tins of paint except for collection from a trade counter.

Archived