Black Paint

cmccabe

Alas unfortunetly Erroneousblack we're mostly in the hands of third party carriers who shall we say won't have a uniformly high quality of 'giving a damn' amongst all of the nationwide staff.

So far I've never had anything arrive from flints damaged, and yes their black paint is without a doubt the best (consider mixing with some matt glaze for a longer lasting finish), but I can sympathise with the problems they have with third party carriers, I regularly ship fragile items and the state some of it ends up in at the other end (even when well packed) is a joke :(

What matters is that they when things do go wrong they put it right, and from what I've heard elsewhere Flints do :-)

Just to follow on from this as its going down the painting the stage floor route again.

Might be worth considering the Bona Mega glaze, the Matt version has actually been superseded by a very matt version. The previous Mega Matt had a reflectance of 30%, the new 'Extra Matt' is 8%.

Probably less useful if your a weekly rep venue and your sloshing on a new coat weekly, but if your setting up for summer season, fringe venue etc then worth the extra cost and effort.

I was really impressed with it during the testing of it.

PS: How would people feel if we used some of the positive comments that appear on things like Facebook and Blue room on the website or even the catalogue? Uncredited mind as most people post under pseudonyms.

Richard @ Flints.

Feel free to quote me as regards the qaulity of your black paint.

I used it to paint surfaces in a lab that needed total darkness, especialy to prevent light leakage via air ducts.

Not theatre related, but some goods sold by Flints have many other uses.

As long as you stck to water-based paint rather than oil based there whouldn't be a problem. You'll be pleased to learn that Flints Theatre Black is water-based! :)

Is that really true? Surely once it's dried it's irrelevant whether it had an oil or water base.

Painting a wooden ceiling with a water based paint wont* add to the fire risk.

If lanterns or other heat sources are too close to the wood, it may already be a fire risk, but water based paint wont* increase the risk.

An oil based paint contains a flammable solvent, and proper precautions should be taken during and after application.

Hoever even after the evaportation of the flammable solvent, the dried paint film that remains is somwhat flammable, and large areas of oil based paint are therefore best avoided, especialy if repeatedly repainted.

Steel is of course non flamable, but a number of disasterous fires on board ships have been blamed on dozens of layers of dried oil based paint on steel work

*To be pedantic, black water based paint on a light coloured wooden surface might very slightly increase the risk of fire under certain circumstances.

Black or dark coloured surfaces more readily absorb radiant heat than light coloured surfaces.

Therefore if a lantern or other source of radiant heat is inadvertantly directed onto the black painted surface, it will get slightly hotter than a light coloured surface, and in extreme circumstances more liable to fire.

In practice, though the light coloured surface will start to darken or slightly char, and thereby absorb more heat, so the difference is academic.

Likewise painting white may slightly reduce the risk, but not by enough, or reliably enough to be of much practical use.

Archived