PAT TEST REGULATIONS

tom.walford

on a theatre lantern, for example, is it a requirement that the lantern has an appliance id so that it can uniquely identified.

Also is it permissible to ore print a load of generic stickers on avery labels to signify the pass of fail of an appliance.

Regards

Tom.

or even pre print!!!

Tom,

There aren't any PAT 'regulations' as such - only a code of practice and the Electricity at Work regulations

However..,

If you do not have individual numbering, how do you know the history or status of any particular lantern? It is stated good practice to individually number appliances. Page 118 of the CoP gives examples of labels, and these would typically have a signature, test date and appliance number entered. Pre printed labels are OK, but you need more than just a label that says "pass"? Of course, you also need a record of the test results...

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike the UK, in Australia and New Zealand, "PAT testing" (including visual inspection) is mandatory for some categories of electrical stuff, which includes theatre kit, the regulations being AS/NZS 3760:2010 "In-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment", which like all standards requires a deposit of your firstborn.

Although Pass and Fail must be recorded on the item itself, record keeping appears to be optional. However, if you keep records, the standard defines the minimum information to be kept, which goes well beyond test results, and the period for which records must be kept.

I use pre-printed labels from RS components.

Pre-printed with "passed electrical safety test" and with spaces to complete for the date, serial number, and testers name.

These are fine for smaller premises with up to a few hundred appliances.

I keep the records manually in a book in which I record

Appliance number

Make and description

Whom owned by

Date of test

Pass or fail and if failed, for what reason.

Any other revlevant information.

A typical entry in the book might read

APPLIANCE NUMBER------------78

DESCRIPTION---------------------RYNESS DESK FAN

LOCATION--------------------------MANAGERS OFFICE

OWNED BY-------------------------MANAGING AGENTS

TESTED ON 28/03/2012

FAILED due to no guard covering fan blades

Disposed with customers agreement, flex cut off to prevent re use.

For very large premises with many hundreds of appliances, computerised systems are available that use bar-coded appliance labels, printed as needed on a hand held printer. When re-testing, the bar code is scanned thereby saving time in entering details manually. Overkill IMHO for all but VERY large premises.

To conform with the relavent Austalian Standard, it is acceptable to use a simple pass tag providing that records are available showing who performed the test and when. Such equipment needs to be able to be identified for reference to the records. Additional records are required including an equipment list, a record of tests, a repair register and a record of faulty equipment.

It is worth noting that most tags I have seen contain much more information. I think it is very important to have the re-test date on the tag so that it is obvious to the person enforcing the safe system of work.

It is my understanding that legally you are required to have a safe place of work and that the laws do not specifically mention test and tag. I believe that you could use a different system if you wanted to, but it may not be acceptable. I have done technical work on shows in several Australian amateur theatres and have only had Test and Tag enforced in one theatre (a local council owned venue).

Obvious Disclaimer. Do not rely on any legal information contained here. You need to get professional advice regarding the law and your local area.

I have done technical work on shows in several Australian amateur theatres and have only had Test and Tag enforced in one theatre (a local council owned venue).

That's a shame! I know some people are hostile to Test and Tag because it lulls people into a false sense of security, but at least it lets you know that the venue is keeping an eye on their equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

A typical entry in the book might read

APPLIANCE NUMBER------------78

DESCRIPTION---------------------RYNESS DESK FAN

LOCATION--------------------------MANAGERS OFFICE

OWNED BY-------------------------MANAGING AGENTS

TESTED ON 28/03/2012

FAILED due to no guard covering fan blades

Disposed with customers agreement, flex cut off to prevent re use.

I'm not a PAT expert and this is just a query, but is a missing fan guard a valid reason for failing a PAT test? I thought the PAT test was for electrical safety. I can't see how a missing guard would impact on this? Obviously it would be a breach of other safety guidelines and shouldn't be in use so disposal is the right thing. But the visual inspection part as I understand it is looking at things like condition of the flex, the correct fuse is fitted, looking for signs of overheating.. that sort of thing. Perhaps I have that wrong though?

... is a missing fan guard a valid reason for failing a PAT test? I thought the PAT test was for electrical safety.

Yes and No. In that order.

PAT testing is usually done to comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations which state...

As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, such danger.

Note that it says 'danger' and not 'danger of electrocution.

And even is your obligation not to chop peoples fingers off didn't fall within EAWR then they'll fall within PUWER.

• 2 weeks later...
In addition to other comments. As far as I am concered the viual inspection of a lantern includes making sure bolts, yokes etc are safe, along with checking cables, plugtop and then the electrical bit. Therefore the argument above about the fan with no guard would not get as far as having the electical test before failing

In addition to other comments. As far as I am concered the viual inspection of a lantern includes making sure bolts, yokes etc are safe, along with checking cables, plugtop and then the electrical bit. Therefore the argument above about the fan with no guard would not get as far as having the electical test before failing

Also, if it's not safe to power the appliance then you can't test it without compromising your own safety.

Also, if it's not safe to power the appliance then you can't test it without compromising your own safety.

Which is really the first thing a tester should consider!

Which is really the first thing a tester should consider!

What we really need is a test to establish if it's safe to test it! ;-)

Archived