Advertising a New Recieving Venue

Karl's exactly right. Hire yourself a Marketing Manager, then stand back and let them work. Seriously.

There's a lot of variables. The question is akin to "How do you do the tech for a new show?" That very much depends: What type of show? What's it about? What's the budget? etc etc . There are people who do Marketing for a living. Let them do it.

(PS: If you're an aspiring Marketing person, then you have the Wrong Forum. I'm not sure where the right one is - Marketing isn't my area, but I'm sure you'll find something from tne old Google..)

If it's a new receiving house, then they'll have already put a disproportionate amount of staff in the marketing department - so I concur. We poke our nose into many areas but marketing isn't one many of our members like to be involved with.

Assuming you mean advertise to the public, rather than advertise the venue to the industry - then you're into socio-economics and that is dull dull dull!

• 2 months later...

Contracting a marketing/PR company?

Putting ads in newspapers?

Putting ads in industry publications?

Normally one is in the position of advertising a venue because one said they could do it... is this not the case in your situation?

David

EDIT:I see you're a student. Is this a homework question? If so, let us know that's the case.

We don't like doing people's homework for them on the forum: If you want to post what you've done so far and ask for advice, that's a little different though.

I have been offered when I graduate I assistant venue manager and receiving tech job in a small theatre in sheffield, (minimum wage 3 days a week but u gotta start somewhere.)

they are willing for me to throw some idea's at them and I am trying to get them to become a receiving house venue. but how to get touring shows in ... I know nothing about.... need help to prepare a presentation for my ideas to a committee.

Ok, I'll do it! You need to determine if you are booking acts direct, or are you using an agent. Many small theatres don't have dedicated people for this kind of thing, so work with a local or simply reliable agent who looks for the right stuff for you. My experience is that they usually look for the right stuff for them. Many of the available programming don't use third party agents, so as they are not going to get commission, they don't book them. Put into this position, the best thing to to is to research venues of similar capacity and size and see who is on their programme. Log into their on-line box office and check how their sales are doing for each show. Obviously, you need to consider how long before the show date it is to get comparisons. Avoid the low bookers, list the popular stuff. Next thing is to find out who represent these shows and then provide them with available dates that you can see (by research) might fit into their tour. Don't be afraid to phone up the agents or even the acts themselves if you can find contacts.

Read the stage reviews each week, if you find certain things you think could be useful, then again look for reviews - all this stuff will help you form opinion, and then you need to consider if a deal is possible. Some may want too much. If you can fill the venue at a good ticket price, then you will know if 20% as a split is enough. If you can't take less than 30%, then some may be swingable - others will just say no, they don't want to come.

Is that any use for a start?

Paul

Definitely look carefully. The bookers in the the Lyceum and crucible are excellent at bookings and deals. So be careful to not try and compete with the same material or similar on the same night .

Moderation: I merged the two - perhaps the OP forgot he had done it before? How odd. However - in merging the two I discovered the forum software has a sense of humour! To merge them involves pasting in one page url into a box, and I accidental tried to paste it to it's own page. The error message said

You cannot merge a page into itself - that would be illogical Captain!

Nice one!

No advertising - If you build it they will come.

If you are in a premium location, and your venue is special for some reason, then maybe - but my venue is in the East, and touring shows consider anything East of the A1 as off the beaten track, so attracting shows is NOT anywhere as easy as that. Travelling time and potential audience mean that it's not quite as easy as that! I wish it were. We spend a long time trying to get shows, often fruitlessly!

Archived