"Corporate Blacks"

willdart666

Hello BR,

I don't often do corporate jobs, I'm more of a rock and/or roll type but this New Years I'm donning the smart blacks.

My question is, what does everyone class as corporate blacks? Obviously a full suit isn't ideal for a load in/out situation but I don't think black jeans and a black tour tshirt is really acceptable.

To put my situation into context, it's a top central London hotel and the role I'm providing is lighting and rigging for a disco. I'll be babysitting throughout the night and doing the in and out.

I understand that it's probably specific to the job but I'd just like to know people preferences.

Cheers!

I agree with David - don't try and wear the same clothes for the in and the out as you do for the gig itself. I wouldn't worry too much about a jacket, but dress pants, shoes and shirt, and probably a tie, are what I'd class as "corporate".

Double check what the rest of the crew are in. If I spec corporate blacks then black shirt, suit trousers, smart black shoes and tie is what I expect of crew. If it's a DJ style affair we'd tell the crew.

In/Out is what ever I'm comfortable in, usually jeans/shorts and ProAV Tshirt/polo, but would maybe controlled by client.

Black long sleeve buttoned dress shirt, dress trousers, black leather lace up shoes (you can get them in steel cap these days).

If you are working 5 star venue, a lot of venues expect bump-in/out crew to be relatively well dressed - black polo and dress pants or if working for an AV company, then their corporate uniform.

As everyone has said, load in casual, change for the show, tend to be black long sleeve shirt black trousers and leather shoes. Prefer never to wear a tie but as I'm usually out of the way its never been a problem and change again for the out.

As an aside have you noticed how difficult it is to buy a cheap totallly plain black long sleeve shirt ?

I'm a venue tech at a conference venue where the manager is quite picky about dress. The usual dress code is a dark-coloured version of business informal - suit trousers, dark shirt, tie, smart shoes. I haven't yet found a pair of steel-toed dress shoes that I find comfortable, so I keep my work boots under the desk in case I have a sudden need to tip flight cases. As we have the luxury of access to the venue well in advance, the get-in is normally done well before the client arrives, which I realise is not an option in many cases. When I'm doing stuff where the client might be around during the get-in (such as a wedding where the groom was a lampie and therefore turned up the day before to drive the truck and load in his own wedding!), I have a pair of (very) black jeans, black coat shirt and steelies.

To be honest, having to suit up for tech work is a little tedious but it does have the distinct advantage that you're as formally dressed (if not more so) as most of the delegates, which has the magical effect of making the client easier to negotiate with - especially important as my venue employs students, so captains of industry, Nobel prize winners, foreign diplomats etc tend to need some convincing that the 20-year-old venue tech actually knows his business (no, I can't make the pictures on your Powerpoint better resolution because you've given me the compressed version and this isn't CSI). If I'm working for a company then it's the company polo shirt plus black trousers and steelies.

Regarding ties getting caught on things - if the gig dress code requires a tie, I bring along a waistcoat to match the suit trousers. It keeps the tie tucked away without doing the school-chemistry-lesson tie-tucked-into-the-shirt thing, and a waistcoat without a jacket is also near-universal code for "I am support staff, ignore me unless there's a fire or you specifically need my help".

--Ollie

Smart is the order of the day! I've done this before in full black tie with black shirt. ASDA will sell you the lot for a very reasonable price. Get Jacket and two pairs of trousers and several black long sleeve shirts. Rig without the jacket then put it on to meet the client. Waistcoat and trousers with shirt and tie makes yo look a bit too much like venue staff and you get enquiries that you can't answer.

Once the party season is over(!) Go to a suit hire place and buy a decent evening suit with two pairs of trousers. It's a good solid fall back for smart events where a T shirt will cost you the contract. People do really think that "suits know" and casually dressed people don't once you get into smart events. Buy yourself a suit carrier, it keeps the jacket hung when not being worn, and it shows that YOU CARE! Even get a suit hanger with your name on it, 'cos you want the repeat work (unless there is an agency involved)

People especially young people are assumed to "know" if they are wearing a suit/dinner suit and "not know" if they are not, at smart evening events.

Only after the client and guest have GONE should you revert to "jeans blacks".

It really depends on your role on the job, and where you are. If you're only doing load/in out, the smartest I would expect crew is a black shirt and smart jeans. Seem venues can be very picky about shorts, especially if you work in any of the royal palaces. If I'm expected to be doing the install while also liaising with the client, I'll be in smart jeans, a shirt and a jacket; at a strategic point during the install I'll change to match the dress code of the event. As always, you need to have an idea what to expect from your client and the venue, if in doubt err on the side of smart - it's much easier to subtly take off a tie than it is to put on a suit. Blacks, in particular, would be black shirt and smart trousers - but it really depends what you're doing.

Last January in a bind while working away I managed to pick up a full suit, shirt, tie and shoes from M&S for just under £100, so it's not too expensive either.

I also disagree that you can get questions you can't answer - at the very least any question asked should get a "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that, but let me get someone who can". If I'm site managing an event where I'm only responsible for tech it doesn't matter - if the client needs help sorting out something else they get it. If I'm behind a desk, I get on the radio.

Regarding ties getting caught on things - if the gig dress code requires a tie, I bring along a waistcoat to match the suit trousers. It keeps the tie tucked away without doing the school-chemistry-lesson tie-tucked-into-the-shirt thing, and a waistcoat without a jacket is also near-universal code for "I am support staff, ignore me unless there's a fire or you specifically need my help".

Regarding ties, I have a plain black silk tie that I got when I worked as a store security guard, and as such it is a clip on tie, means that if it gets caught on anything it falls off rather than strangling you - OK so if you look closely you can tell it is a clip-on, but better that than injury. Also, if you don't want to go down the waistcoat route, there is always the option of a tie-pin / clip, maybe they are considered a bit 'old fashioned' these days, but there are a few quite cool options out there is you look.

Regarding ties, I have a plain black silk tie that I got when I worked as a store security guard, and as such it is a clip on tie, means that if it gets caught on anything it falls off rather than strangling you - OK so if you look closely you can tell it is a clip-on, but better that than injury.

I would say that a clip-on tie is essential.

If the client makes tut-tutting noises about this, explain in a reasonable manner that it is a matter of safety.

I will wear a bow tie.

does it spin?

For the record,I own 1 shirt and 1 tie,for work its a black t shirt and jeans/combats depending on how posh the gig depends on how black they are,you want me in a suite? no problem heres the bill,can you afford it? and yes ive done 1 or 2 pompous posh gigs in jeans and t shirt

Archived