"Corporate Blacks"

willdart666

If anyones curious about what I went for;

Load in (Day 1) - Merrell work shoes, smart black combats (Not ones with a million pockets), and a plain black polo.

Event (Day 2) - Smart black shoes, smart black jeans, black short sleeve shirt and a black tie with a bit of detail on it.

Load out: Switched back to the Merrells and a clean plain black polo.

Was absolutely fine for the job. Thanks for the advice everyone!

You won't often have any problems with what you wore. I do a lot of corporate stuff and can honestly say I've never worn a tie and I've also never been asked to get one and put it on!

I usually just go for smart black jeans with a black t-shirt/polo for the get-in's/out's and a smart black or dark grey pair of trousers, shoes and black shirt for the show's.

If you're ever in doubt, ask the company your working for! Generally, if they need anything specific they'll soon ask for it!

You can always wear your black denims, but once a year it;s nice to get suited and booted.

After all,"every girls crazy bout a smart dressed man"

Unfortunately when I aired my suit 3 hours before work it was covered in mould so panic ensumed but hey thats xmas!

To be honest I have no idea why I wore a tie, it just sort of seemed like a nice touch, especially on NYE. I doubt I'll be sporting out of choice all that often! I didn't get in the way and as ScottishCol said "every girls crazy bout a smart dressed man"!

To be honest I have no idea why I wore a tie, it just sort of seemed like a nice touch, especially on NYE. I doubt I'll be sporting out of choice all that often! I didn't get in the way and as ScottishCol said "every girls crazy bout a smart dressed man"!

I do like a well-dressed man...but I'm afraid that a short-sleeved shirt with a tie does not qualify as well-dressed in my book! Open-necked is fine, or long-sleeved with a tie...but not short-sleeved with tie.

Ah, so that's why Gridgirl never fancied me--it's my short sleeve shirt and ties I've been wearing since about 1980. For a minute there, I was worried it was because I'm old, chubby, bald and grumpy.

At the moment I work on the Queen Victoria and I suppose the uniform could be classed quite simularly to what I think would be acceptable for Corporate.

How about a black polo and black chinos for the get in and change to something smarter for the show? I suppose it wouldn't matter for the get-in if you aren't seen by anyone?

We've only covered the male perspective in this thread, with a view to equality what is the Corporate lady tech expected to wear?

As a lady tech, I have two jobs.

Full time pay the bills job is a tech in a school, so I'm on show a lot, so black light trousers, black converse (nice and quiet, no need for steelies) and our black polo shirts with the school logo and "Production Team" on - I wanted to move away from "crew" - "stage staff" and "technicians" it also allows us to get the Front of House people in smart matching tops.

Bit of fun job is a live dance band, the whole package, trombones, saxophones, singers. As this requires both the get-in/out and mixing in an open position, I (and my husband) generally go in jeans/tshirt for that bit, then when we are all set up and done a quick mic check (no muso's just us) we get changed, husband into black trousers, dark shirt and shoes, me into smart black trousers, smart boots/shoes and a smart black blouse/top.

Most of the time, the bride/groom/brother of the guy who has just turned 50 doesn't really mind what we look like when getting ready, its when the band is on, we are mixing/taking photos/ climbing through the band to sort out what the muso's have managed to uplug with their feet (you would be surprised!) that what we look like matters.

I don't think the "lady techs" are that different to the guys...if I'm really visible on a high-profile gig then I might wear black dress trousers and a pair of black low-heeled boots (which I can run in if necessary!) but normally it's tidy and clean combats with clean work boots, and a black shirt in both cases.

• 3 months later...

Archived